🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Subscriptions - Credit Card

Options
Hi could you share some tips on how to avoid recurring payments from different subscriptions websites. A few months ago I subscribed to many different websites that offer you 14 day free trials (online courses, software, coaching programs etc) and as I had no money in that bank/card I didn't bother to cancel the subscriptions and now I don't remember which websites I subscribed to.

Now I wanted to receive some payments in that bank account but I'm afraid that those subscription websites will take a lot of money that I havent paid for these months...

Will I still have to pay to these websites if I cancel the credit/debit card?  (I only gave my credit/debit card number to those websites)
I would apreciatte some help as some of those subscriptions are recurring high ticket digital products...I think one was around $2000 with a free trial so I could get a depression...

Thanks

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 35,242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 9 December 2021 at 8:51AM
    Options
    You just need to cancel any subscriptions you no longer want.

Cancelling your card does nothing apart from leave you without a card. You still owe the money under the contract.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,571 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Talk to the card provider and ask them to cancel these. They will tell you you need to cancel directly to the company but at least you are advising them up front of an issue. They may also be aware of some incoming or bounced payments.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,571 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh and can you check your browser history? That might give you a clue to some so you can get this partially sorted at least.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Cancelling your card does nothing apart from leave you without a card. You still owe the money under the contract.
    Also retailer can simply request new card details to take the payments.

OP needs to go back through their emails. As you will have received these when you subscribed. 
    Even if you contact your bank, you need to know which retailer to stop the payments to & that does not stop them chasing via other means. 

In future you a calendar to mark of who & when payments are due. 👍
    Life in the slow lane
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    Options
    Brie said:
    Talk to the card provider and ask them to cancel these. They will tell you you need to cancel directly to the company but at least you are advising them up front of an issue. They may also be aware of some incoming or bounced payments.
    Card provider cannot cancel a contract with another company on your behalf, all they can do is stop a continuous payment authority once its been setup however the first payment wont be a CPA and so would go through even with CPAs blocked

In most contracts non-payment isnt an acceptable way to cancel the contract and so you will be continuing incurring costs/fees etc until you cancel it properly... just the same way your employer cannot just refuse to pay you and use that as their mechanism of firing/making you redundant. 
  • davidismyname
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    Brie said:
    Card provider cannot cancel a contract with another company on your behalf, all they can do is stop a continuous payment authority once its been setup however the first payment wont be a CPA and so would go through even with CPAs blocked

In most contracts non-payment isnt an acceptable way to cancel the contract and so you will be continuing incurring costs/fees etc until you cancel it properly... just the same way your employer cannot just refuse to pay you and use that as their mechanism of firing/making you redundant. 
    But I didn't sign any contract with those websites I just gave my debit card number to those websites so if they cant process the first payment I guess they just canceled my account...

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,886 Forumite
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    Brie said:

No it would be stopped.
    In cases where there is a free trial period. There is always a check on the card that gets logged on the system. Which then means the retailer can be picked up and the block put in place.

TBH. While the banks do not cancel the contract. I have never heard of one of these companies chasing a customer. All they do is cancel the service. As most are not based in the UK.
    Only ones that will chase a customer is where you sign up to a fixed term service & cancel the payment mid term.
    Life in the slow lane
  • davidismyname
    Options

I didn't sign any contract..just gave my debit card number...and if I block the debit card usually I should get a card with a new number so my guess is that websites wont be able to process payments as they would have the wrong debit card number?
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I didn't sign any contract..just gave my debit card number...and if I block the debit card usually I should get a card with a new number so my guess is that websites wont be able to process payments as they would have the wrong debit card number?

You guessed wrong. Have you read any of the replys? Contracts are madwe without "signing", you signed up online.

Canceling the card is not the easyways out. Take control of what you did and cancel correctly.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    Options
    Sandtree said:
    Brie said:

But I didn't sign any contract with those websites I just gave my debit card number to those websites so if they cant process the first payment I guess they just canceled my account...

In england and wales the requirements for a contract are:
    1) Offer
    2) Acceptance
    3) Consideration (aka payment which can also be the promise of payment)

There is no legal requirement for signature in contracts, in deeds there are but in deeds there is no requirement for consideration. 

Sandtree said:
    Brie said:

No it would be stopped.
    In cases where there is a free trial period. There is always a check on the card that gets logged on the system. Which then means the retailer can be picked up and the block put in place.

TBH. While the banks do not cancel the contract. I have never heard of one of these companies chasing a customer. All they do is cancel the service. As most are not based in the UK.
    Only ones that will chase a customer is where you sign up to a fixed term service & cancel the payment mid term.
    Ok, you clearly know much more about cards than I do, my memory of CPAs was the first payment goes through as a standard payment with the normal checks and the subsequent payments go via the CPA route that has much lighter checks without a penalty. Didnt realise the token initial card validation was sufficient to enable the lighter touch CPA route to be used going forward.

It depends what you count in the "one of these companies"... if you look at the service like insurance if they auto renew the policy and attempt payment via CPA and it fails they dont just cancel the policy and write off the debt. Similarly have know plenty chased by cloud software providers for monies due after payment but not service has been cancelled.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure