Positively Planning and Enjoying Life

Comments

• try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Wow you are doing really well ..I always think the thought of prepping ,taking pics , listing and then packing seems just too much trouble but actually once you get started and youve done it a few times it gets easier and of course when you get paid that makes it all worthwhile ..I have so much stuff in my house ,i could list every day this year and still have loads to go ..Your spending is very good too ,i had a brilliant week in week one then a really bad week last week ,im hoping this week will be much better
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Great progress. Well done on the listing prep - it all helps.

I keep a lot of clothes until they have holes - and even then - until they are then too paint spattered or garden stained to be of use any more. I keep other 'nicer' clothes for work.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • Hi savings and try harder thank you for stopping by  :) Well today did not go to plan due to side-effects of meds which i'm due to finish today so i'm sure i'll feel much better soon  :) Pots have been washed and the main thing is i got some things listed for sale - Yeah! and i have sorted out more things to list after reading posts on savings diary and being motivated to challenge myself to try things on and honestly see what i think. i am so out of shape it was easy to let some things go - as lovely as they are  :D

So far i have 6 work outfits for in the office and 2 for at home. I have not sorted everything out yet so this could change, although i'm happy with 6 office outfits as the total number - means if i'm in every day and it's a busy weekend i have the spare outfit for Monday. 

I just did what i could - i don't have lots of clothes it's just they're all in the same small wardrobe - coats, swimwear, holiday wear, winter, gym, as well as clothes just all in the same small space and i have little energy.

It has been a good start though and i definitely feel better and lighter for it. There is still plenty to go through mind.

savings some of the things i'm keeping are because they have holes in so only suitable for charity shop to sell on in weight and i can live with the holes  :)

try harder i am thinking of what i could use as the starting fund for the challenge  :)
    Mortgage Balance
  • savingholmes
    Well done on your progress. Good luck on the challenges. Hope you feel better soon.
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • i wanted to pop on and jot my thoughts down whilst they're sortof still present in my mind

Not having a clean and tidy home is stopping me living the life i want to.

Other than having a clean and tidy home being part of the way i want to live my life - so i can happily answer the door to anyone AND let them in without feeling the horror or shame! But because of the time drain and energy drain it is having on me.

i need to get rid of enough clothes so they can all fit easily in my wardrobe - this will make washing / drying / moving easier. The home will be tidier overall as a result. Choosing an outfit for any event will be quicker and easier. This will all free up time. Reading around the boards i am reminded of what i already know - i have more than i need - especially if i lose weight  :D  (my wardrobe is a smaller than standard double and has everything from coats to swimwear in). I could do with a list of how many things i should have like a capsule wardrobe.. one to ponder

i need to identify the best places for things in the home so that everything can be quickly put away - saving time.If there's no place or too much of something it needs to go.

When everything is tidy cleaning will be quick as it is such a small house we should easily be on top of it.

Just wanted to get that down as a reminder and motivator to come back to  :)

Small steps i've taken this week is keeping the shopping to a minimum - actually bought only what was on my list this week! So less food coming in which then means less needing storing.

Took 2 bags to the charity shop and already started a new bag.

Started eating from the cupboard i organised - which will make room eventually for the stuff on the counter.

Read a bit of my book which will be passed on when finished.

Used body cream after shower - will continue to do to use up - haven't been doing this for a while.

Looking forward to the weekend, it's been a tough week in work. I'm trying to not make a coffee every day before leaving. I like my coffee in the morning but it's not cheap. If i could halve the coffee i have in a week it would mean i'd need to buy the coffee later as it would last longer and help on the overall shopping bill. I only have coffee in the morning - a tea or herbal tea later.

Hope everyone is having a good week

Mortgage Balance
  • savingholmes
    Love your notes. Similar reasoning to mine
  • I hope everyone has had a good start to their weekend?

I've not been well this couple of days - different to other illness that was ongoing to now but has reduced a lot. I took some medication to help with this and suffered the side affects today. Lets hope tomorrow i am well enough to get out for a bit of a walk as this is a priority for me for my health - so sortof ironic it was ill health keeping me home today. Nothing too bad thankfully.

Mr Socks made a suggestion for tea and helped to make it as well. This was such a mood boost for me. The planning / shopping / cooking and cleaning up after is all generally done by me. It really was such a big help not having to think of what to make for tea and as well having help cooking it to. Long may it continue i say! It was most tasty and even better i have leftovers  :)

I didn't achieve much after work yesterday - work had been very draining and then i was ill as well so spent the evening being poorly pretty much and then decided to take the medication and take the hit on the side affects.

Today i had a late start to the day but had in my mind things i wanted to achieve at a gentle pace. So it has been a very pottering sort of day but i am pleased to have achieved so much. I did the pots twice and two lots of washing, drying and moving - i still have 2 lots to go. Taking it just a couple of items at a time i have managed to declutter quite a few clothes. I have a bag to take to the charity shop and i have some things to list for sale - mostly ready except it has been a very overcast day and the pictures wouldn't have been any good so a lot are waiting for the right light and a few things need all the descriptions doing etc.

A few things mentioned on savingholmes diary were in my mind when making decisions - someone had said they try everything on and whilst i couldn't at the moment - having clothes in 3 sizes due to change in weight - i was able to decide on some things that they are no longer 'me' (after half trying on - not fastened lol). There was another post which stayed with me which was along the lines of someone only wearing clothes they felt fabulous in. I realised a lot of what i wear (at the moment it's because it's what fits!) is not something i feel fabulous in. Rather it's because it will do and mainly serves to cover me up and blend me into the background. I have made great inroads and *think* if i can clear 12 more items from my wardrobe i'll be able to fit in all the clothes i own. Which will have a big positive impact on our home, how we feel living here and actually keeping tidy and being able to clean more easily. Lots of other things to work on as well but this will be so good.

I am stalled at the 12 items - i know when i get to the smaller size clothes i may put them on and not love all of them - but at the moment that isn't a decision i can make.

What else? No spends have been done so not needed to update my spending diary. I had a shower and used 2 beauty treatments - 1 a single use packet so nice to use and declutter as well, the other was in a tub but i think i'm down to the last use now  :) And i used the body lotion i opened the other day as well  :) So it's been nice to have a bit of self care and use things which eventually will help with managing the 'stock' of things we seem to carry.

I've also enjoyed reading my book - although i'm finding it a very emotional read so keep leaving gaps before going back to it. Not quite sure why i'm responding this way to it - i have cried reading books but not felt the need for the breaks. Hopefully the next book will be more uplifting - my current policy is to read a book pass it on and then i start the book that was next to encourage me to read books i may otherwise keep putting off - like i had with this one.

Oh other money news (other than things for sale). I noticed my S&Si5a had dipped so i set a transfer over to top this up again.

Off to bed soon. Not sure on how productive i'll be tomorrow - i'm shattered now  :D
    Mortgage Balance
  • savingholmes
    Sounds like you are doing really well with the decluttering. Hope your health improves soon too.
  • sabsob
    sabsob Posts: 67 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Hi @StripeyTightsSpottySocks, I'm just catching up with your diary and really enjoying it. It sounds like we are similarly frustrated with our cluttered homes, and similar to you, my weight fluctuates (across 4-5 sizes, actually, which is incredibly frustrating). I wish I could sort my head out and stick to one or two sizes...preferably the lower ones :disappointed:

It sounds like you are making great strides with decluttering and listing. I saw you weren't feeling well yesterday - I hope today is better! 
    Declutter challenge: List 312 things in 2022: 45/312
    Mortgage-free Wannabe: Re-mortgage at start: £131,423 (27th Jan 2022)
    OP since re-mortgage: £1500
  • try_harder
    try_harder Posts: 1,527 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Yes a great week for you other than not feeling well ,i do hope you are feeling much better and happier today 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.9K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback