We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

Just had a bump - advice please.

13

Comments

  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 18,777 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Mati said:
    It's getting rather boring having to read comments which show the other posts have not been read properly. The phone was in his hand showing the phone number and he still could not transfer it to me.

    I told the insurance person about his condition and that he had said I had appeared out of nowhere and she thought that did not sound very good, so I have done my duty in reporting him. 

    I'm probably being thick but what do you mean by that?  If the phone was in his hand with the number on display, why couldn't you just note it yourself?  I use a mobile phone but only bother with the basic functions, I wouldn't know how to transfer a number from one phone to another.
  • Mati
    Mati Posts: 65 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 7 December 2021 at 5:47PM
    He as sitting in his drivers seat and I was next to him as we were exchanging details. He decided to read off his phone number to give to me and could not do it without reversing some of the numbers. That's all.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Mati said:
    He as sitting in his drivers seat and I was next to him as we were exchanging details. He decided to read off his phone number to give to me and could not do it without reversing some of the numbers. That's all.
    So may have dyspraxia rather than a dementia type issue
  • Mati
    Mati Posts: 65 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Oh for goodness sake! I had to write down both sets of details, and allowing for shock from which I was also suffering and also being elderly, he gave many indications that it is dementia. The man did not have a clue about anything. Anyway my insurer agreed that he did seem suspiciously like it was something more than shock. I cared for my demented m-i-l and know it when I see it.
  • anotheruser
    anotheruser Posts: 3,485 Forumite
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 24 January 2025 at 5:58PM
    Mati said:
    Have had a quote for £500 + vat if I get a second hand door otherwise about 1K so will have to claim. Have sent a message asking driver for his insurance ref though he said the company - Lloyds, I don't know how compos mentis he is when he could not quote his mobile number with his phone in his hand.
    Best to claim direct from his insurance, rather than going through yours. You have to notify yours of a non-fault accident.
    Not being able to remember a mobile number or insurer is moot - I don't know my current car insurer off the top of my head.

    And correct - you should call HIS insurer as you are claiming from them.  Call and notify yours ensuring you say it is for information only as you are claiming from the other party insurer.

    And drop the medical issues.
    They are quite irrelevant to your case.  You may not think so, but the insurers won't care, especially as it would seem they are 100% at fault - even if they claim not to be.  The road layout is against them.
  • Mati
    Mati Posts: 65 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    The medical issues are important for me as I feel a duty to report a driver who did not seem capable of being in control of a car. My garage says they get damaged cars in all of the time in cases like mine. There are a lot of elderly people with cars who should not be able to use them.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 December 2021 at 12:12PM
    Unfortunately medical removal of licence is difficult, particularly without police involvement. It's rare for a doctor to be willing to tell the DVLA to revoke the licence of a patient if they are not willing to give it up even if the doctor gives them a word in the ear. It often, sadly, takes a major incident for them to agree to give up the licence if they're otherwise threatened with prosecution
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    Mati said:
    The medical issues are important for me as I feel a duty to report a driver who did not seem capable of being in control of a car. My garage says they get damaged cars in all of the time in cases like mine. There are a lot of elderly people with cars who should not be able to use them.
    Medical issues and fitness to drive is a matter for the police or the DVLA.

    An insurer can do nothing more than decide not to offer a renewal (did that with one chap who had two mutli-car accidents in the space of a couple of months, in both cases mistook accelerator and break whilst in a car park and hit 5+ parked cars) but that leaves them free to go to any of the other 500+ brokers and insurers out there.
  • Mati
    Mati Posts: 65 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Going crazy! The garage I chose will not deal with insurance claims and advised me to claim through the TPI. I rang them and they said go through my insurers they do not deal with TP.
  • binao
    binao Posts: 666 Forumite
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    edited 20 January 2022 at 8:53PM
    @Mati OP do you have any news? Your thread needs closure please.  :)
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.