We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.
This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.
📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!
Just had a bump - advice please.
Mati
Posts: 65 Forumite
Hi I was entering a village this morning doing about 20 mph in 3rd gear as I had just turned a corner onto the high street when a car come into my view on the right side and banged into my car. The side of mine has a small dent and scrapping. The person was an old man who had come out of a side street and pulled out just as I was passing. He was clearly unfit for driving and could not even give me his phone number which was right beside him nor remember his insurers. I have his name address and phone number and details of a witness who was standing by. The old man was even asking me whose fault it was!
Anyway, will I be okay with my no claims bonus?
Anyway, will I be okay with my no claims bonus?
0
Comments
-
On the basis of what you say your no claims bonus should not be affected. Contact your insurers with the information you have, including the registration number of the other vehicle. They will be able to find out who he is insured with.
1 -
Any claim is ultimately a gamble, if he's honest/can remember the circumstances as you say then its likely to be resolved as a non-fault claim and the witness should help overcome challenges if he changes his mind. However as per a recent thread on the Motor board, he may not have insurance (in the OP's case on that thread the fault driver was their father who it seems forgot to renew the policy before hitting a neighbour's car) in which case if he cannot afford to personally pay then it may impact your policy (though some insurers have an "uninsured driver promise" or similar)Mati said:Anyway, will I be okay with my no claims bonus?1 -
Have had a quote for £500 + vat if I get a second hand door otherwise about 1K so will have to claim. Have sent a message asking driver for his insurance ref though he said the company - Lloyds, I don't know how compos mentis he is when he could not quote his mobile number with his phone in his hand.0
-
Best to claim direct from his insurance, rather than going through yours. You have to notify yours of a non-fault accident.
1 -
Okay. He has given me his insurance ref no. I asked if he would like to pay for my repair and he denied being at fault. He said I appeared from nowhere lol I spoke to mine yesterday to ask if I would lose my no claim and they said ring Claims today to ask. So I get in touch with his?0
-
BTW £500 seems a bit steep to fit a door and do a small repair to sill?0
-
I reported it to my insurance company and they said my no claims is protected with no fault, but my next policy could be affected. So please anyone, should I go straight to the third party insurers and are there any cons doing that? Thanks in advance.0
-
The door itself will cost £100+ second hand, depending on the value of spares for your car. Fitting it will require some fettling; it may be necessary to do things like swap the door card from the old to new one and, maybe, the exterior handle, trim, window mechanism and glass. To do it properly will require an hour or two's labour, plus parts to cover the inevitable broken plastic clips and sundries. The sill will need straightening and some paint correction, again there will be parts and labour. I'd be happy enough with that quote, assuming it was a proper job.Mati said:BTW £500 seems a bit steep to fit a door and do a small repair to sill?1 -
Main downside is that if anything goes wrong with the repairs etc then you have no right to go to the Financial Ombudsman for assistance.Mati said:I reported it to my insurance company and they said my no claims is protected with no fault, but my next policy could be affected. So please anyone, should I go straight to the third party insurers and are there any cons doing that? Thanks in advance.
Its a long standing debate on if your own insurers or the third party insurers are likely to give you better service. I personally am in the "they'll be no worse" camp (accepting all insurers drop the ball occasionally) and dont believe they'll intentionally give you a bad time because of the lack of FOS rights.
The impact to your premiums will be the same if you claim off your insurance or theirs, you just eliminate the risk of it being a fault claim if you claim off their insurance. If you claim off yours, they will counterclaim off of the third party insurers and so will end up being in a net zero position (which is the basic definition of a non-fault accident)2 -
Not sure how many people know their own mobile number. My OH doesn't as he never needs to tell anyone whereas I'm forever giving out my mobile number and so can rhyme it off without any problem.
My experience of accidents is that there can be hidden issues that a proper quote will account for. Also while there may be just a scratch needing a dot of paint they will quote for the whole panel/door which is obviously much more expensive.I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Debt Free Wannabe, Old Style Money Saving and Pensions boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Click on this link for a Statement of Accounts that can be posted on the DebtFree Wannabe board: https://lemonfool.co.uk/financecalculators/soa.php
Check your state pension on: Check your State Pension forecast - GOV.UK
"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.” Nellie McClung
⭐️🏅😇🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅🏅0
Confirm your email address to Create Threads and Reply
Categories
- All Categories
- 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
- 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
- 456.1K Spending & Discounts
- 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
- 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
- 179K Life & Family
- 263.5K Travel & Transport
- 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
- 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
- 37.7K Read-Only Boards

