Getting a suitable housing for my mother

bobby_99
bobby_99 Posts: 48 Forumite
First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
edited 30 November 2021 at 11:02PM in Benefits & tax credits

Hello need some advise what to expect my mother use to live with my sister in her house ...my mum is originally from colombia and went back now we decided to bring her back as she is not getting the right treatment there but the problem is their is no space at the house my sister has a bigger family and rooms are small and to good access to toilets and my mother is over 80 with very reduced mobility will the government help us out if they see their is no space in my sisters house and if she says she can not keep her anymore? will they give her a property? etc

I am also willing to move to any property she gets be her full time carer 

what are the possible scenarios we dont want to put her into care

Comments

• TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,453 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Is she still a Colombian national or does she hold a British passport?  That may make a difference to any potential entitlement to benefits.  I very much doubt they will provide her with a property.  How long has she been living back in Colombia?
  • bobby_99
    bobby_99 Posts: 48 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 30 November 2021 at 11:12PM
    TELLIT01 said:
    Is she still a Colombian national or does she hold a British passport?  That may make a difference to any potential entitlement to benefits.  I very much doubt they will provide her with a property.  How long has she been living back in Colombia?
    she has a british passport  she was living in colombia for 5 years ...even if my sister says she can not keep her at her address?
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 November 2021 at 11:16PM
    You also need to look at habitual residence and the right to reside if she has been out of the country for some time.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Habitual-Residence-Test/What-is-the-Habitual-Residence-Test
    She cannot expect to move back into unsuitable circumstances and just be offered a property. 
    Will she be self funding or is she expecting to claim benefits? 
    You should take proper legal advice before making any decisions.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • elsien said:
    You also need to look at habitual residence and the right to reside if she has been out of the country for some time.
    https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-guides/Habitual-Residence-Test/What-is-the-Habitual-Residence-Test
    she has been out the country for 5 years
  • warby68
    warby68 Posts: 3,020 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    In your February thread, you were living here with your mother in her fully paid for house which makes your question now a little confusing.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You can't expect your mother to come to the UK and be given a property to live in just like that because it's likely not going to happen. If you haven't looked at the link provided then i'd advise you to do that.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 30 November 2021 at 11:33PM
    warby68 said:
    In your February thread, you were living here with your mother in her fully paid for house which makes your question now a little confusing.
    If the house is your mothers then she needs to live there and if there’s no room for other family members they need to make their own arrangements.  Alternatively your mother could sell her house if it is no longer suitable for her needs and buy/rent somewhere more accessible,
    Even if she passes the habitual residence test, she won’t get any means tested benefits if she has a house she’s not living in as that will count as an asset. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    warby68 said:

Thread here https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6242619/getting-divorced-is-my-wife-entitled-to-my-mothers-house#latest

• McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,819 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    phew, just a minute, I think I need to wobble me head a bit....

make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,041 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
     my mother use to live with my sister in her house .

bad grammar?      sister's house or mother's house.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback