British Gas Exclusive Fix Apr 2023

Options
Hi,
My first post here!
I am with British Gas and I (was!) on their "Energy Plus Protection Jan 2022v6" but received an email saying time was running out to join their "Exclusive Fix Apr 2023", so I clicked the "switch now" link to take a look, but that was it, switch applied for! I then wrongly assumed the new tariff would start when the existing tariff ends (31/01/22) but it has came into affect immediately, so my bill has shot up over night! I have 14 days to revert to the old tariff with no charge, but should I?!

Comments

• MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 November 2021 at 11:34AM
    Options
    What is the new tariff, hard to answer without knowing what you are being charged per kWh/Standing charge compared to what your old tariff was...?

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Ady_M_P said:
    I am with British Gas and I (was!) on their "Energy Plus Protection Jan 2022v6" but received an email saying time was running out to join their "Exclusive Fix Apr 2023", so I clicked the "switch now" link to take a look, but that was it, switch applied for! I then wrongly assumed the new tariff would start when the existing tariff ends (31/01/22) but it has came into affect immediately, so my bill has shot up over night! I have 14 days to revert to the old tariff with no charge, but should I?!
    Im my region, your old "Energy Plus Protection Jan 2022v6" tariff is:
    • Gas: 2.761p/kWh, 13.204p/day
    • Electricity: 14.814p/kWh, 16.493p/day
    Your new "Exclusive Fix Apr 2023" tariff is:
    • Gas: 6.468p/kWh, 14.243p/day, exit fee £50
    • Electricity: 23.189p/kWh, 25.803p/day, exit fee £50
    So your new gas tariff is more than 2x the price per kWh and electricity is more than 1.5x the price per kWh.
    Personally, I'd revert and drop onto the std variable rate when it expires (or look at fix options in late January).
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Ady_M_P
    Options
    Thank you for the quick responses.
    The tariffs are as follows;

Energy Plus Protection Jan 2022v6:GasStanding charge: 13.204p/dayUnit rate: 2.580p/kWhElectricityStanding charge: 16.893p/dayUnit rate: 15.004p/kWh
    Exclusive Fix Apr 2023:GasStanding charge: 14.243p/dayUnit rate: 6.332p/kWhElectricityStanding charge: 21.281p/dayUnit rate: 23.820p/kWh

Meaning an increase to me of £614,80 a year based on last years usage.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,119 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Cancel ASAP
  • meinnit
    meinnit Posts: 929 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Agree.. cancel
  • slipthru
    slipthru Posts: 603 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes cancel. Silly paying those high prices at start of winter.
    In Progress!!!
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,289 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ady_M_P said:
    Thank you for the quick responses.
    The tariffs are as follows...

Revert to the original tariff, the majority of your energy costs will be over the winter period so staying on your previous fix until it runs out then dropping onto the capped variable rate, as suggested above, makes the most sense right now.

• Armengar
    Armengar Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    lets hope you dont need gas.  thats an eye watering price locked in for 2 years.
  • Ady_M_P
    Options
    Thanks all. I think I know what to do! Hopefully prices won’t go up even more before February. So does the cap only apply if you’re on a variable rate?
  • Hornetski
    Options
    Ady_M_P said:
    Hi,
    My first post here!

Ady_M_P, thanks for posting. I received the same e-mail and was concerned that the 'switch now' would move you immediately to the higher tariff rather than at the end of January, so I ignored it and will just move to SVT at the end of January and see what happens in April
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback