3 gang wall switch with wifi, Alexa and google compatible but how to i connect the bulbs ???

Options
Hi All,

I must say "stupid me"......i went and purchased a 3 gang wall switch which is WIFI, Alexa & google home compatible. BUT...BUT i totally forgot how would that 3 gang wifi switch communicate with the ceiling bulbs in the 2 rooms..gggggrrrrrrr.......here is the picture of what i purchased ~:  : you may need to copy paste in your browser ::::

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144259357630?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=a781c9dec08148019a41e8108c32b4ce&bu=43149862222&osub=-1~1&crd=20211121203355&segname=11051&sojTags=ch=ch,bu=bu,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

Its the picture with 3 gang touch switches. Now, i have no clue what to connect to my ceiling bulbs that will be controller by phone, alexa or google ???? i mean is there anything cheap out there or something that can be hidden in the  cup of the ceiling bulb, which i am know will need to be wired too at 1st  ???????

Anyone any idea or shall i just return the 3 gang switch back ????.....

please advise.

many thanks and kind regards. BE SAFE.

ALY K

Comments

• Hi All,

I must say "stupid me"......i went and purchased a 3 gang wall switch which is WIFI, Alexa & google home compatible. BUT...BUT i totally forgot how would that 3 gang wifi switch communicate with the ceiling bulbs in the 2 rooms..gggggrrrrrrr.......here is the picture of what i purchased ~:  : you may need to copy paste in your browser ::::

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144259357630?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=a781c9dec08148019a41e8108c32b4ce&bu=43149862222&osub=-1~1&crd=20211121203355&segname=11051&sojTags=ch=ch,bu=bu,osub=osub,crd=crd,segname=segname,chnl=mkcid

Its the picture with 3 gang touch switches. Now, i have no clue what to connect to my ceiling bulbs that will be controller by phone, alexa or google ???? i mean is there anything cheap out there or something that can be hidden in the  cup of the ceiling bulb, which i am know will need to be wired too at 1st  ???????

please advise.

ALY K

Bulbs are generally not WiFi, they use Zigbee but have their own hub that connects to the router for WiFi usage (using your phone as a controller.) But the Zigbee network protocol has each bulb connected to the other.

Alexa and Google Home connect by WiFi to your router and then to the "hub" that the products run off to command them.

I have no idea how this device communicates with any of that but it looks like the finest Chinesium and is far too cheap for what it is.  Given the seller appears to have got most of their feedback from selling fashion items I'd say it's probably a hijacked account or one using feedback building who has then gone on to sell tat.

I suspect if you try and return it you'll be given a return address in the Glorious Nation of China, rather than Manchester.
  • alykhalil1
    Options

hhhhhhhhmmmmnnnn....getting to understand..thank you....
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,789 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi All,

please advise.

ALY K

Bulbs are generally not WiFi, they use Zigbee but have their own hub that connects to the router for WiFi usage (using your phone as a controller.) But the Zigbee network protocol has each bulb connected to the other.

Alexa and Google Home connect by WiFi to your router and then to the "hub" that the products run off to command them.

I have no idea how this device communicates with any of that but it looks like the finest Chinesium and is far too cheap for what it is.  Given the seller appears to have got most of their feedback from selling fashion items I'd say it's probably a hijacked account or one using feedback building who has then gone on to sell tat.

I suspect if you try and return it you'll be given a return address in the Glorious Nation of China, rather than Manchester.
    None of the bulbs I have need a hub and are wireless. They are just plug and play, working with Alexa and Google.
    Have a look at the TP-Link Kasa range amongst many others. Even the cheap Chinese ones have worked flawlessly in the loft....
    All my bulbs are voice controlled and none of the switches needed to be changed. 
    I know each will have their own solution, but, this one works for our needs and it's certainly cheaper than Phillips Hue.... ;)
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hi All,

please advise.

ALY K

What makes you think that switch can be controlled remotely? I don't see anything in the specs that say it can.
    It is far too cheap to be anything like useful or safe. Bin it, going to cost you more than you've already paid to return it to China.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    It's made of tempered glass (allegedly), could use it as a trivet for hot saucepans?
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Surely if you have a smart switch you don't need smart bulbs?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 26 November 2021 at 4:10PM
    Options
    Surely if you have a smart switch you don't need smart bulbs?
    Need? No, but having them can add functionality depending on the model of switch and lights.

With the Lifx switch you can programme buttons to turn on lights/scenes not physically connected to the switch. So gang one is non-smart ceiling bulbs that are simply on/off. Gang two turns all lights on (non-smart ceiling and smart bulbs in floor lamps etc), long press turns them all on to 100% cool white and off turns them all off. Gang three is "tv mode" so ceiling lights off, floor lights on low warm, LED behind TV on 33% ambient colour etc

If the ceiling bulbs were replaced with smart then the options would go further than just on/off.

Personally find having a physical switch is still useful a lot of the time
  • Grey_Critic
    Grey_Critic Posts: 1,337 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

YIWU SHI WAN FENG E-COMMERCE CO LTD

Registered business address

24 GOODALL ROAD
    LONDON
    E11 4EP
    GB
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

YIWU SHI WAN FENG E-COMMERCE CO LTD

Registered business address

24 GOODALL ROAD
    LONDON
    E11 4EP
    GB
    But Companies House doesnt have a record so guessing there is a typo there somewhere or its an overseas register you've looked at.

YIWU SHI WAN FENG E COMMERCE CO LTD (844607366)
    Chengdian Community
    Chou Cheng Street. Room 401 Unit 3 Building 11.
    322000 Yiwu City
    Zhejiang Province
    China

Is what they list for themselves and on a few french websites, for some reason. 
  • tallmansix
    tallmansix Posts: 1,895 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I've had a close look at the product description:

1. It is not Google Home / Alexa compatible - it doesn't say that anywhere in the product description.

2. It does not have Wi-Fi - again it doesn't say anything in the product description.

There are similar looking products that do the above, but the one you have linked to does not do any of the above.

What it will do is:

1. Provide a touch based light switch for on/off function

2. Work with a compatible remote control running on 433Mhz - I can't find / recommend a suitable one though.

YNAB enthusiast and extreme coupon-er.
    Discounts, coupons and cashback:
    2019 = £1,443.52
    2020 = £1,191,76
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills