in Energy
11 replies 229 views
2»

Replies

• jbrycejbryce Forumite
    52 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts
    dilby said:
    Hi all - not sure if this is a good place to post this but I figured some people might be able to help. I've got a home office that I had recently built, but it's only insulated with rockwool (company didnt offer rigid options like kingspan) and it gets pretty cold as the winter sets in. I've currently got a 1.25kw electric heater on the wall but I'm a bit concerned about heating bills over time, as I need to keep it running often throughout the day as the heat loss seems to be pretty high. I'm going to look at what I can do to help that (a little low on options at the moment) but for the short term I'm trying to do the sums on if the cost of an oil filled radiator would be better but I'm not sure how. If both are the same KW then i cant differentiate as a basic kw/h equation will render same results, but I'm of understanding that the benefit of an oil filled radiator doesn't have to be on as much as the radiator will retain the heat. Is there therefore a way I can work that out, or is it a suck and see situation? I've also look at teeing off the central heating in the house and running an insulated pipe through ground out to the office, but from what I can tell even with the best insulation the heat loss would be too great. Does that sound correct?

Thanks so much
    Every electric appliance is 100% efficient at turning electricity into heat. It makes no difference.
    The only exception to this rule is heat pumps which have greater than 100% efficiency.