No reply from HMRC?

Hi, first of all I am not trying to get out of paying any due tax. I filed a late return January 2021 I believe; was genuinely struggling at the time. I also appear to have been charged late fees on CIS which now should have been refunded (approx. 5/6 from memory). I probably owe £1500.00 tax from 2019. HMRC say it is around or just over £2000.00. However, I wrote to HMRC and CIS. Neither replied. Can I ask, do they pass on to dept collection? I have still never received anything.

Comments

• At least if they passed onto debt collection, I would have someone to deal with. In someway, I prefer dealing with a debt collection company.
  • Your first post is so confusing not sure anyone on here could help you.

Are you a contractor or subcontractor or both?

Are you dealing with two different things here, your own Self Assessment account and something else?  What is the "5/6" you think should have been refunded?
  • Contractor in this case. The only logical thing I can do is contact them again. However, it is them who advised to write in as far as I remember. I am a small trader who paid via CIS. This is what is outstanding. There are no other current debts.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,925 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Sorry but I can't tell from what you've written how long it is since you wrote to them.  Would you be able to ring instead??
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • I wrote to them maybe about 10 months ago.
  • Not sure if this helps but I'm currently appealing penalties/late charges/interest for 3 years of self-assessment returns (long story short they sent the original notice to submit one to an old address) and having spoken to HMRC today they told me that due to COVID they have de-prioritized anything received by post (which includes their online forms) in favour of manning the phones. Not particularly helpful as you can't actually deal with appeals over the phone. They've given me a 6 month estimate of when i might hear back - i originally submitted my appeal at the start of September) so looks like much of the BAU for HMRC is being hugely delayed
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback