We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Multifuel stove, but missing the "coal bit"

Options
Hi,

I have a Stovax multifuel stove which works fine. When we had installed we (stupidly) didn't get the grid to burn coal because I thought I would never use it. Now that we have been on holiday somewhere with a stove running "coal" (the smokeless ovals) I was surprised by how warm it was and how long it lasted. So I contacted the people where I bought the stove from, but it turned out that Stovax has discontinued my model, so I cannot get the "official" bit. My question is, can I just get any old grid that will fit in my stove and use that? AFAIK there are no other bits required.

Comments

• Effician
    Effician Posts: 482 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 November 2021 at 9:47PM
    Options
    May be worth mentioning the model & hopefully someone may have the same & be able to a give list of parts/ dimensions.
    If you opted for just wood burning did you also opt for a 316 grade liner( wood ) or 904 grade for multifuels?
  • Andrea15
    Andrea15 Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hhhmmm... not sure about the lining. How to find out?
    The stove is a Stokton5.
  • Effician
    Options
    Andrea15 said:
    Hhhmmm... not sure about the lining. How to find out?
    The stove is a Stokton5.

Unless you have a receipt from the installer of the flue it's not going to be easy to identify, you may be able to remove the register plate & see if there are any markings on the liner but it's a long shot.
    Burning smokeless coal releases much more corrosive gasses hence the need for a higher quality 904 liner.

• Andrea15
    Options
    Thanks for that. No I didn't look at the Stokton site because Stokton said that didn't have it when the supplier phoned them. Iàll have a look anyway.

Said that, the supplier didn't bat an eyelid when I said I might want to burn coal, so maybe he expects the liner to be correct... Maybe I can find the old paperwork somewhere.
  • Andrea15
    Options
    Hhmmm... the site does seem to stock my multifuel bit (my model is the ST5W1). I think I am going to give them a phone tomorrow and see what they say.
  • Effician
    edited 11 November 2021 at 10:39PM
    Options
    Quite a bit more complicated than a universal grate you can just drop in.

My daughter had two identical multifuel ready stoves fitted but only one had the necessary kit fitted for burning smokeless  The installers fitted a a 904 flue for the multifuel eqipped one & 316 for the one without the kit ( just wood burning) as it kept the cost down a bit.
  • Andrea15
    Options
    It does look that way, doesn't it. That was the way it had been described by the retailer at the time.

I think I'll give Stokton a phone tomorrow and see what they say...
  • Andrea15
    Options
    After talking to them (not easy... you are on hold for ever) it transpires that the bits do exist and it is the one linked about. What it doesn't exist any longer is the "pack". Now you have to buy the parts separately.
    Seemingly I can do it myself as it isn't rocket science.
  • Effician
    Options
    Good result then, looks straight forward enough.
    A good chunk of change though at over £200 , depends how much you want to burn smokeless i guess as i don't think there is a financial saving over burning wood.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure