Adventures and Overpayments

Comments

• chicker
    chicker Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    I would really miss my cleaner if I let her go altogether so get what you mean.

I think if I did ever stop the cleaner - I definitely would invest in a robo vacuum but I'd want one that could do stairs too LOL.
    We used to have a cleaner too. Those were the days! I do LOVE Robbie the Roomba though. We have two dogs and he keeps the floors far cleaner than they ever would be otherwise. I do spend a fair bit of time emptying the bin, cleaning it, unblocking fur balls and getting him out from various places he's got stuck though... Also they're expensive but I bought him with some of the money we released when we moved, and before I realised my income was about to disappear  🤦‍♀️
    MFW diary Adventures and Overpayments

Mortgage start: £240,945 Aug 2020
    Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 
    £605.85   1 month off approx

MFW 2022 #39  £135.68/£1200
  • chicker
    edited 27 November 2021 at 10:16PM
    We went into our nearest (tiny) city today to get DD's feet measured and it was nice to do something 'normal'. I used to go there fairly regularly for haircuts and shopping but think I've only been twice in the last year. 

-Got DDs feet measured and bought her new shoes with 40% off so £26. Will buy a more formal pair from secondhand but new now we know the size as we chose trainers in the shop.
    -Got a few small Christmas presents
    -Spent £9 plus £39 of Tesco vouchers on lunch which was lovely. We've only been out to eat as a family a few times.
    -Hit my step goal walking round the town while DD napped.

The best bit: paid the contents of our coin jar into the bank and it was a whopping £131! I was expecting about £30 so really pleased. Just not sure whether to put half and half to savings and OP or use it to buy some much-needed clothes for me and DH.

I've got a few more ideas for presents now so I'm going to order a few bits this evening. I've struggled so much more for ideas this year! I think it's because I haven't seen people much recently.

Finding the news a bit depressing/anxiety inducing today 😒

Currently enjoying a knock-off Baileys hot chocolate while DH is out working. Really hope DD doesn't wake up!

Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 

• Hi Chicker 

just wanted to wave 👋 and say I have subscribed! I have young children to do your days sounds very familiar!! 
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Well done on the coin jar.

You say you need clothes for you and DH. Have you worked out specifically what you need (and why)? Is it a need or is it a want? If it's a need - then buy what you need (or wait for January sales and then buy). The mortgage is important but so are your other needs.

I love using vouchers for meals too -and did that Friday with my DD.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • chicker
    Hi @Savingtomove - it's nice to hear from people in a similar position! Do you have a diary?

Hi  @savingholmes

I would says it's a definite 'need' for me as I have two pairs of jeans that are about to wear right through in an unfortunate place! Where's the rolling smiley when you need it?? I also need a warm jumper which I plan to find in the sales and some new socks. 

DH just gets bored of his clothes I think so I will have a proper look at what he actually needs.

The meal out was lovely! We had two mains, a 'tiny tums' starter and main for DD, one side and one dessert for £13 of points + £9. It feels like free food 🤣 We don't have a lot of choice for the Mr T vouchers here apart from two big Italian chains but the food is always good and they have loads of veggie options.

Hope you had a nice meal with your DD!

Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 

• chicker
    Its Monday so my MIL is playing with DD downstairs and I'm pretending to work 🤣

I have done some work work but I'm still waiting for loads to come in - I think they're all saving it up for me  :#

- Pet insurance cheque cleared and moved back to emergency pot
    - Change paid in hasn't cleared yet (hope he put the right numbers in!) but I think we will use it for clothes as I am in dire need of a new pair of jeans. 
    - very welcome and unexpected e-mail from energy provider reducing our monthly direct debit by £32 as they've recalculated our usage! Not sure I've ever had one reduced and it maybe a mistake but I'll take it for now.
    - small item sold on bay of e so need to post that later

I am STUPIDLY excited to do the monthly money shuffles tomorrow and make an OP 🤣🤣🤣 So glad I started this diary as it's really helped me focus and keep track of what I'm doing. I've got so many lists and notes on my phone etc in real life but I just couldn't seem to keep track of it all.

Today I need to:
    -Clean bathroom, en-suite and downstairs loo
    -Put robovac on upstairs
    -Post e bay parcel
    -Wash dog bedding (I will probably continue to avoid this job as I hate vacuuming it all first!)
    -Fill DDs advent calendar. It's not finished but I guess she can do without the numbers this year as she's only 19 months old!

Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 

• chicker said:

-Fill DDs advent calendar. It's not finished but I guess she can do without the numbers this year as she's only 19 months old!

Yes, she can do without numbers this year, dint make more work for yourself at this already busy and stressful time.
    You could break the job into steps/stages and diaries them - preferably in the first 3 to 6 months of 2022, that way come Christmas next year the calendar will be made without added stress and DD will never know the difference 😁🎄
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,259 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Enjoy your money shuffle tomorrow. 

I agree about not making life harder than it needs to be. Definitely get the jeans too!
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26% (lower post move compensated by EF) plus spent £10K+ on home improvements/emergency repairs
    2) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £8.063/£127,466 AVC target 6.32%
    3) FI Age 60 annual income target £12,500/30,000 41.66%
    Achievements: CC free since April 22. 1 year EF from Jan 24 & dedicated pot for home improvements
  • chicker
    Grrr. Started overpayment on the app. Switched back to current account to check the amount then couldn't complete the OP because it had signed me out. Now need to wait a few hours while they check the OP didn't go though before they let me try again. Pointless as I didn't even put my card details in  🤦‍♀️

Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 

• chicker

December
    Income  
    DH salary 2139.5
    DH business 966.28
    My SE earnings 392
    My sales/surveys/cashback 340.16
    Buy to let 300
    Child benefit 84.6
    Debts  
    Next 54.13
    DH overdraft 157
    Expenses  
    Mortgage
    Water 
    Life insurance
    TV licence
    Broadband
    CC food & petrol
    Energy
    Council Tax 
    Louisa mobile
    Scott mobile

Car tax  27
    Childcare 127.5
    Hair 25
    Amazon photos 1.49
    DD's savings 50
    Joint account spends 300
    Swimming lessons 0
    Dog walking 10
    Personal spends (£70 each) 140
    Sinking funds 200
    DD clothes etc 84.6
    Emergency fund 100
    New car 100
    DH food budget 40
    Holiday savings 350
    House reno/deco savings 304.1
    Mortgage OP 304.11

Managed to get the OP to go through eventually! 

Our December budget is huge compared to normal as DH has done a load of private work recently and we've been selling things. Normally our income is much smaller!

-Next and DH's overdraft are now paid off and our emergency fund is full again for the first time in at least a year. So these won't appear in next months budget.
    -Only big bill this month is the car tax but there is already a bit spare in our bills account so just £27 to pay. 
    -I've made over £40 from surveys and T0pcashback this month so more than covers my one luxury - £25 per month towards my next hair appointment 😂
    -DD's savings are basically £10 for every gig my DH does or gets paid for that month
    - Only one more week of dog walking!
    -We decided to put an extra £20 each in our personal spends account as we have meals out planned and the current account is going to take a hammering from 4 x physio appointments
    - Holiday savings building up nicely. Normally this is where the budget starts to run out and we don't necessarily manage the full £350. This is the adventures part of my diary title - they've been a bit sparse recently... 
    -Only OPed £304 as stupid app doesn't do decimals... The 11p will sit in the savings pot until next time I guess
    -No idea why there is a big gap in the middle...

Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income