Adventures and Overpayments

Comments

• Heya, sounds like you've done really well :)

The main thing that struck me was your £60 per month water bill, I pay £240 a year for water and I'm not super careful with it or anything, love a good deep bath etc. We have a water butt for gardening in summer but that's it. Obviously everyone has different circumstances, We live in a semi detached house, 2 adults but even then I think that might be worth taking a look at

• chicker
    chicker Posts: 142 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    kaycastle said:
    Heya, sounds like you've done really well :)

The main thing that struck me was your £60 per month water bill, I pay £240 a year for water and I'm not super careful with it or anything, love a good deep bath etc. We have a water butt for gardening in summer but that's it. Obviously everyone has different circumstances, We live in a semi detached house, 2 adults but even then I think that might be worth taking a look at

Thank you so much for taking the time to look through and reply! I had every intention of coming back and adding a few notes about it but poorly DD said otherwise.

Our water IS expensive - I completely agree! We moved here when DD was 4 months old and I 'let' my DH sort out the new water direct debit... so it was set at £15 a month😒 Not all his fault though as obviously the water company agreed and then I took nearly a year to get around to changing it so we are now paying off almost £300  :o It will probably be a bit high anyway as DD is in reusable nappies which I wash every two days, she has a bath every evening and my DH has a long shower everyday. We also live in the most expensive area for water bills...

A water butt is high on my list as we did a lot in the garden over the summer. I also need to get a water jug for the fridge as we wait ages for cold water from the tap. Hopefully in a year we should see this reduce but the lady I spoke to said they usually set payments at £48 per month for a family of 3! 
    MFW diary Adventures and Overpayments

Mortgage start: £240,945 Aug 2020
    Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 
    £605.85   1 month off approx

MFW 2022 #39  £135.68/£1200
  • chicker
    Just coming along to wish you good luck on your journey. Keep posting - it helps. I'm sure some experienced MF and MFW posters will be along shortly.
    Thank you!

Well done on post your budget, it can be a bit daunting! 

Mobiles seem a lot and one I found quite easy to swap. Mine is now £7 a month on a sim only deal and OH got rid of his personal phone and just uses work number (his package through work is unlimited so no extra cost to them of him adding personal stuff on it). If you look at it that currently your mobile/tv spends are equal your car spends! 

Sinking pots - do you do these every month? Adds up to £600 for presents over the year, does that sound right for who you buy for? My family have stopped presents for adults and just do kids (apart from my mum but I like to spoil her anyway). 

Dog walking- is that £50 a month? Could that be reduced?  Have a look at borrow my doggy as an alternative

just suggestions!! I found it helpful to work Out what our priorities are (quality food and mortgage OPs) and then trim other budget lines. Obviously different families have different priorities. Good luck with it! 
    Thank you for taking the time to go through my budget! I meant to add a few notes about it but poorly DD had other ideas!

You've picked out the main bits though. I've just had to replace my ancient phone on a sim only deal as the camera had broken so I now have a new one with $ky. My DH is stuck in a stupidly expensive contract for less data and an older phone than mine for twice the price but can't change it until next October. We plan to get him a sim only as his phone is newish.

Sinking pots - I'm playing catch up with the presents pot as almost everyone we know has a birthday in April and May and we really struggled this year. Same for Christmas as we haven't been paying into this all year. I'm hoping I will build up a bit in the dogs and car sinking pots so that I can reduce what we pay in once there is a bit of a buffer. We stopped paying anything into sinking funds when our income reduced drastically so they're a bit behind!

Dog walking 😢 I know this has to stop but I feel really guilty that the dogs don't get the exercise they used to pre-baby. I also really like our dog walker. Yes I know this is ridiculous!! This is for only one of our dogs - the younger one - once a week. We used to pay this weekly when we had a better income!

Other things we've been working on:

TV should say broadband as we've just replaced $ky with freesat and plan to compare broadband providers when this contract ends in a couple of months. Annoyingly we have to pay for superfast where we live.

Food shopping - I've tried so hard to reduce this but it just goes up and up with prices. We get mostly cheap brands, meal plan, get an online delivery paid for by clubcard points etc. I go to L1dls once a month to get a few things that are a lot cheaper there but haven't got time to do our main shop there. 

Energy - annoyingly I'd just switched to an expensive fix before Martin told us not to. No exit fees though so will switch again when things settle. We did get £60 worth of nectar pts though.

Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 

• South_coast
    South_coast Posts: 4,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    I feel your pain with the expensive water area, I'm paying £26.78/month for one person in a 1-bed flat - and that's the reduced rate because I've asked for a meter and they're not able to fit one 😮!
    Mortgage start: £65,495 (March 2016)
    Cleared 🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️🧚‍♀️!!! In 5 years, 1 month and 29 days
    Total amount repaid: £72,307.03. £1.10 repaid for every £1.00 borrowed

Finally earning interest instead of paying it!!!
  • That makes a lot of sense, water must be the only thing that's affordable around here, I didn't realise how cheap my water is.

Ooh how do you find reusable nappies? I'm having my first baby in January :)
  • chicker
    kaycastle said:
    That makes a lot of sense, water must be the only thing that's affordable around here, I didn't realise how cheap my water is.

Ooh how do you find reusable nappies? I'm having my first baby in January :)
    Ooh congratulations! Are you feeling prepared? Don’t worry- I didn’t 😂

We love the nappies! If there’s a nappy library nearby you can order a trial set to see what’s what. I then bought a few brands until we decided on the one we liked best and sold on the others. Our baby was tiny though so didn’t fit them until she was more than 3 months old.

Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 

• chicker
    It's been a busy week here so far! I've had lots of work come in all in one go so I've been working while DD naps and when DH gets home. Today I spent my only child free day of the week glued to the laptop and I've still got more to do. It's good to see my invoice total building up though! I've also sold another small item on ebay and completed a few surveys so I'm almost at the next payout amount.

I have been trying to put together a new budget spreadsheet so that everything appears on one page - all of our income and all expenditure which I can adjust every month depending on the variable amounts of our income. 

I'm so tired - fingers crossed we get some sleep tonight!

Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Sounds like you are making good progress though.
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • chicker
    Sounds like you are making good progress though.
    Thank you! I'm definitely finding it easier to focus my ideas and keep track of what we're doing even though I've only had this diary for a week or so.

Mortgage now: 
    £230,738
    2021 OP total: 

• savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,305 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    I find keeping a diary great for both accountability and balance...
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £11.9K
    3) CC £3.7K on 0% spends card but offset by £34K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value @15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure