We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Claiming on insurance after paying manually

Options
Hi,

My cat has skin issue causing itching and he needs steroids every 3 months or so. I have been paying this out of my pocket without thinking. However, he is covered by sainsburys insurance. Have i left it too late to start claiming for this through the insurance? It has been over a year since his allergy tests and treatment started and im thinking i have missed my chance like a fool.

If so, should i switch to another insurer to cover everything but his skin? If his skin isnt covered with sainsburys anyway, im thinking theres no point sticking with them at a higher price when i could go elsewhere and be in the same position?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your policy document will state how long you have to make a claim. I have seen as short as 1 month and as long as 12 months. I doubt any would be accepted over 12 months.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,635 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    Hi,

My cat has skin issue causing itching and he needs steroids every 3 months or so. I have been paying this out of my pocket without thinking. However, he is covered by sainsburys insurance. Have i left it too late to start claiming for this through the insurance? It has been over a year since his allergy tests and treatment started and im thinking i have missed my chance like a fool.

If so, should i switch to another insurer to cover everything but his skin? If his skin isnt covered with sainsburys anyway, im thinking theres no point sticking with them at a higher price when i could go elsewhere and be in the same position?

I don't understand this.  You say he is covered, then suggest he may not be.  Have you reported the skin condition to Sainsbury's when the insurance was renewed?  The only way to get an answer to your question about claiming the cost back is to speak to the insurer.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,489 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If the OP dod not lodge a claim within the time limit stated in his policy document then Sainsbury's will not pay out for that claim. hence the OP sa ying his skin treatment will not now be covered.

If he had claimed in time then they would have paid out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure