Car insurance - Discrimination

Options
Hi everyone,

Is it legal for a car insurance company to have a general policy that dismisses anyone who possesses a medically restricted licence? No ifs, no ands and no but. No room to discuss the circumstances of the restrictions as its just a flat out dismissal?

Thank you
Adamski1982

Comments

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No business has to do trade with anybody they don't wish to. 
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    No business has to do trade with anybody they don't wish to. 
    So long as the reasons are not discriminatory.
  • Adamski1982
    Options
    neilmcl said:
    Hi everyone,

Is it legal for a car insurance company to have a general policy that dismisses anyone who possesses a medically restricted licence? No ifs, no ands and no but. No room to discuss the circumstances of the restrictions as its just a flat out dismissal?

Thank you
    Adamski1982
    Yes, insurance cover, and whether it's offered or not, is based on risk, and if that's the sole basis of the refusal then it's not discrimination.
    Thanks for replying.

Even though they can't gauge the degree of risk because there's no room to discuss your restrictions with them?

• neilmcl
    edited 29 October 2021 at 10:57AM
    Options
    neilmcl said:
    Hi everyone,

Thank you
    Adamski1982
    Yes, insurance cover, and whether it's offered or not, is based on risk, and if that's the sole basis of the refusal then it's not discrimination.
    Thanks for replying.

Even though they can't gauge the degree of risk because there's no room to discuss your restrictions with them?

Of course they can gauge the risk, they are professionals at doing so, they don't need to discuss it with you.

If you honestly think you've discriminated against than make a formal complaint, followed by a complaint to the FOS.
  • Adamski1982
    Options
    Thank you for your replies.

The reason I feel it's discrimination is that many of the people who possess medically restricted licences, such as myself, have disabilities covered under the Equality Act 2010 as a protected characteristic. To outright refuse anyone with a medically restricted licence who may be disabled is surely seen as discrimination against those protected characteristics?

thanks
  • neilmcl
    Options

The reason I feel it's discrimination is that many of the people who possess medically restricted licences, such as myself, have disabilities covered under the Equality Act 2010 as a protected characteristic. To outright refuse anyone with a medically restricted licence who may be disabled is surely seen as discrimination against those protected characteristics?

thanks
    https://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/consumers/how-to-complain
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

thanks
    How did you find out that cover has been refused because of medically restricted licence?

My wife has a medically restricted licence and never has any shortage of quotes through the comparison sites.
  • Adamski1982
    Options

thanks
    How did you find out that cover has been refused because of medically restricted licence?

My wife has a medically restricted licence and never has any shortage of quotes through the comparison sites.
    Hi,

It's openly written on their website as a criteria for all their policies as "No dvla license medical restrictions".
    Thanks
  • neilmcl
    edited 29 October 2021 at 12:12PM
    Options

thanks

Hi,

It's openly written on their website as a criteria for all their policies as "No dvla license medical restrictions".
    Thanks
    Which insurer?

"No dvla license medical restrictions" doesn't mean no disabled drivers.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback