working from home business

Options
hi i have been reading the blogs (hope i am posting this is the right section)  and i am now starting to worry , i started a small business at home making things for pets  and selling them online it has taken off a lot better then i expected in such a short time, started in June this year 2021. 
Next year i am hoping to do trade shows and markets etcc.

Cut a long story short i work in my front room making the products or in my shed at the front of the house, i do not have people calling to the house to purchase or anything like that, i post all items at the post office, all things i buy in to make the products arrive by a courier royal mail Fedex Hermes etcc, so no big lorries wagons etcc ,and deliveries would be no more than the normal house hold postal deliveries. 

The only noise i make as such is my saw drill or sander in the shed which i might use during the day ( never before 9am or after 6pm) .
So that is a little insight to what i do. I Am registered as a sole trader and have UTR  number and i have an accountant .

I am just in the process of sorting insurance and the type of insurance i need. But My question is my house is mortgaged an still about 9 to 10 years left on it to pay it off , and i did not know that i needed to ask them it never crossed my mind until someone mentioned it that there mortgage company declined them starting there business, I was OMG i have poured all my savings in to starting my business and i did not even know i had to ask them , What now ?? I am a worrier and stress head to start with without having this on my shoulders , 
Any advice would be really helpful ( i hope ) 
Getting other premises at this time would not be possible due to costs,
  Thank you 

Comments

• neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 29 October 2021 at 10:30AM
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about informing your mortgage company as long as you're not altering your property to support your business, but always check your mortgage T&Cs. You would need to inform your house insurer that you're running a business from home.

This is probably better in the Mortgage and Homes section - https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/categories/mortgages-homes
  • Sandtree
    Sandtree Posts: 10,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    You have potential issues with mortgage, planning permission, business rates, home insurance etc.

The vast majority of people do this sort of thing and never have a problem and "get away with it". Unfortunately some have a flood or fire etc and the insurance inspector comes round sees the undeclared business equipment and voids the policy for fraud. Similarly some neighbours may decide to let the planning office know your outside the permitted use of your property etc.

Anyway... some reasonable advice on the considerations at Running a business from home - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)
  • missinnocent
    Options
    Hi thank you for your replies and advice really appreciate it, i will also try post it on the other forum you have linked .
    Thank you
  • missinnocent
    Options
    hi we checked on planning permission but we are not changing anything in our home business rates we check only apply if we use  more than a certain % of the house for the business which i dont i use 1 room and a utility room for baking products and only 50% probably of the time ,insurance we need searching for the right type we need for the products im making an selling,  
    the only issue i am concerned about was the letting the mortgage company know, 
    BUT quite a few people have said with covid a lot more people are working from home would they all have to inform there mortgage company  that they are  even the gov are telling them to work from home when possible, 
    which is basically what i am doing working from home making products and selling them online, 
    ill check the gov site out too be good to read there too
    thank you
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport