We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Owl Cat

Options
Our 23 year old moggie has started to hoot like an owl - really !
He does it whenever he comes up the stairs - a step at a time (arthrytis) and has now started to hoot from the cat flap (every step) to the living room
Does anyone else have any experience of a cat owl ?

Comments

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,490 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    is he yowling in pain due to his arthritis?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sheramber said:
    is he yowling in pain due to his arthritis?
    I dont believe so
    He runs around quietly sometimes
    I think that it is his age!
    The vet is not concerned 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Never heard of this happening before!! How bizarre!!!  

That said - our cat became much more vocal in general in her old age.  Part of it was that until her shouty twin sister died I expect she had no need to get our attention or that her sister was drowning her out!  Then as an elderly arthritic tigger I think she was like a slightly begoggled person - wandering about talking to herself and the world in general with the occasional little complaint about her hip joints particularly on the stairs. 

As for at the cat flap - well you know you are supposed to stand guard and open on command don't you??  And salute as she enters!!
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 3 November 2021 at 4:10PM
    Options
    We lost GoGo this morning
    He had a stroke last night
    The vet put hm to sleep at 10:00
    He was just 24 years old by two days - and had  been with us since the age of 8 weeks 
    GoGo has left a void in our lives 
  • Brie
    Options
    So sorry for your loss Deleted_User!  We lost our 17 year old kitten Ariadne in August. 

I keep seeing and hearing her bleeping about the house.  No doubt you'll do the same with GoGo.   

The neighbourhood cats have been coming around to check if she's really gone and if she left any fish bits for them.  I almost wish I hadn't been so quick to get rid of all her food and treats but, then again, the visitors all look very healthy so I know they have good homes and I wouldn't want to lure them away.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 4 November 2021 at 2:07PM
    Options
    We still have his "brother" - who is 19years old and clearly missing GoGo
    He has been with us all his life as well
    He is wandering around aimlessly looking for him - poor baby
    I am guessing that the owl hooting was a warning sign of a stroke ?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    GoGo's surviving younger "brother" is acting oddly - despite never really having anything to do with his brother (except to bite him !)
    He is crying extremely loudly at night
    My wife is trying not to clean some areas of the house to keep GoGo's smell around as long as possible
  • Brie
    Options
    Poor GoGo's brother!  Maybe he's like my Ariadne who only got shouty after her noisy twin died.  Or maybe he's just checking that you are ok.  

My exceptionally house proud mom refused to clean the skirting board where her favourite dog used to lean.  And 5 years after the dog died and my parents moved the dog's toys moved with them.  I think they're still in the cupboard a couple of decades on.
  • TripleH
    TripleH Posts: 3,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    So sorry for your loss.
    Our eldest apparently (before my time) was quite timid whilst her sister was an extrovert. Sadly her sister was hit by a car 13 years ago. Apparently for days afterwards she would cry and look for her sister round my wife's flat. She became more assertive when she got over her sister's death and was on her own although even now still recognises her sister's name.
    May you find your sister soon Helli.
    Sleep well.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family