Just set up new S&S ISA - can I move last years savings ISA without affecting limits into a fixed?

Options
Hey there,

I've just in the past few hours set up a Vanguard ISA with some in S&P 500 and some in Lifetime 100 

I have from last year my first regular easy access ISA with a few k in at 0.4% with Charter.  I don't want to transfer this to Vanguard as I read it can take months sometimes, and still on the fence/dabbling with these kind of investments in the first place

Am I correct in thinking I can make a transfer of the last years ISA into a NEW ISA choosing to transfer only?  eg into a 1+yr fixed, at around 0.9%, and if I did this, this would not affect what I'm able to pay into the Vanguards 20k limit?

Thank you

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,482 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yes your understanding is correct.
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
     I don't want to transfer this to Vanguard as I read it can take months sometimes, 

Cash ISA transfer to S&S ISA should normally take two to four weeks . 

• Midnight_Tboy
    Options
    Thats cool, thank you masonic and Albermarle, at the moment I've moved 6k so far, 5k into the lifetime 100, and 1k into the S&P 500.  Will give it a few days then look at the Global Balanced one that was suggested to me with a little bit for now, while I decide if dare risk much more
  • masonic
    Options
    Is there any particular reason why you are investing in more than one Vanguard fund?
  • Midnight_Tboy
    Options
    masonic said:
    Is there any particular reason why you are investing in more than one Vanguard fund?
    Not really - just on a suggestion from someone - spreading it out a little bit - while I learn and guess figure out if want to consolidate them at some point
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    masonic said:
    Not really - just on a suggestion from someone - spreading it out a little bit - while I learn and guess figure out if want to consolidate them at some point
    https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-lifestrategy-100-equity-fund-accumulation-shares/portfolio-data shows that 14.5% of VLS100 is their S&P 500 tracker, so you're not actually spreading anything out!
  • masonic
    Options
    masonic said:
    The only reason to buy more than one fund is if you can't find a single fund that includes everything you want to hold. What, for example, is Vanguard LifeStrategy deficient in? As eskbanker suggests, the answer to that is probably not S&P500.
  • Midnight_Tboy
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    masonic said:
    https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investments/vanguard-lifestrategy-100-equity-fund-accumulation-shares/portfolio-data shows that 14.5% of VLS100 is their S&P 500 tracker, so you're not actually spreading anything out!
    Haha, I'll understand it all eventually.  Cant see any of the Global Balanced so I guess by doing that it is

It looks like the S&P has applied now and still waiting on the 5k going to the lifetime strategy - I'm guessing its 943 instead of 1k as its the smallest multiple of a single clumped share price or something?
  • masonic
    edited 28 October 2021 at 6:31PM
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    masonic said:
    Haha, I'll understand it all eventually.  Cant see any of the Global Balanced so I guess by doing that it is

It looks like the S&P has applied now and still waiting on the 5k going to the lifetime strategy - I'm guessing its 943 instead of 1k as its the smallest multiple of a single clumped share price or something?
    It's an ETF rather than an open ended fund, so you can't buy fractional units. Open ended funds trade once a day, while ETFs trade immediately during market hours.
  • Midnight_Tboy
    Options
    masonic said:
    eskbanker said:
    masonic said:

It's an ETF rather than an open ended fund, so you can't buy fractional units.
    Aaah thanks - that makes sense - slowly getting head around it all 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure