Money-making idea- any flaws with this plan?

Options
Shankers
Shankers Posts: 92 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post
edited 27 October 2021 at 7:06PM in Boost your income
Any flaws with this idea?

First Class stamps go up in value every year (the amount is announced in advance)
Buy lots of First Class stamps
Keep them for a few years
Sell them using a platform that takes no (or a low) percentage, marginally below the future price.

For instance.
2021, a First Class stamp costs 85p. 
Let's say in 2024 a First Class stamp costs £1, sell them in 2024 for 94p
The buyer has an incentive to buy. You as the seller makes the equivalent of 3% per year for 3 years on the initial investment.

Comments

• MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Well, anything can happen between the time you buy lots of stamps to the time you can start selling them in a few years' time. And that just reminded me of that old saying, 'there's many a slip twixt cup and lip'.

You might just lose a bundle of money.

Price of stamps could go down, or stay as it is. Anything could happen to you (hopefully not but life is unpredictable). Someone could break into your home and steal your stash of stamps. 

In short, I don't think it's a very good idea and I wouldn't do it. But as I say below, that is just my opinion. If you have money to spare/waste then it's entirely up to you.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Options
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • Shankers
    Shankers Posts: 92 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Interesting. The main issue Martin's (admittedly old) blog doesn't cover is the best platform to sell them on. He writes as if Ebay won't take a big cut, but my impression is they take 20%. Other alternatives would be Facebook Marketplace, Gumtree, but they mainly draw in people who are local.
  • mjm3346
    mjm3346 Posts: 46,898 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Who is going to buy lots of stamps when franking can be over 10% cheaper? 

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One of the problems will be alerting potential customers to your selling medium. I doubt there are/will be many people trawling eBay/Gumtree/FB Marketplace looking for "postage stamps"
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,306 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    One of the problems will be alerting potential customers to your selling medium. I doubt there are/will be many people trawling eBay/Gumtree/FB Marketplace looking for "postage stamps"

Actually I understand there are - but one of the people looking are the post office looking out for stolen, fake or washed stamps.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,390 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You would be better off buying the pretty first class stamps and then selling for a profit on Etsy
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • bit_by_bit
    bit_by_bit Posts: 1,155 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I haven't bought any as I get mine free but you can buy books of stamps on Fl-bay.

If you are sure you can keep them safe and dry and don't need the money for a few years then you may be able to make a profit.

I would sell in books of 10 rather than loose indiviuals as they are pre glued and less likely to get damaged.

Be fully aware of all fees e.g. buyitnow is an extra charge along with final value fee.

Always send via  the post office counter to get a Proof of Posting.

Obviously it is not a quick return but they are small to keep, unlikely to go down in value, easy to post in a letter envelope and even if their cash value is on the front and they are very old they can still be used/sold.

DH gets lots of old colourful stamps on his deliveries from a few people who send him stuff. I am looking at selling these used franked stamps for a bit of a return so why not??
    Wife, mother, gardener, nurse, Big C survivor. Officially retired at 55 2021 [/b][/b].Mortgage free April 2021Challenges 2024: Decluttering Campaign 32/100 bags plus 0 large items. Make £2024 in 2024#8 £0/£2024 Using my craft stash 0/52 Reading books 0/52 Donations for the CS/washing done from others (in and outs) in 2024 x 10 bags and 0 large items.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,646 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I haven't bought any as I get mine free but you can buy books of stamps on Fl-bay.

If you are sure you can keep them safe and dry and don't need the money for a few years then you may be able to make a profit.

I would sell in books of 10 rather than loose indiviuals as they are pre glued and less likely to get damaged.

Be fully aware of all fees e.g. buyitnow is an extra charge along with final value fee.

Always send via  the post office counter to get a Proof of Posting.

Obviously it is not a quick return but they are small to keep, unlikely to go down in value, easy to post in a letter envelope and even if their cash value is on the front and they are very old they can still be used/sold.

DH gets lots of old colourful stamps on his deliveries from a few people who send him stuff. I am looking at selling these used franked stamps for a bit of a return so why not??
    Selling used stamps which have been obtained at no cost and which may (or may not have) a value to stamp collectors is completely different to reselling books of 1st Class stamps.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,756 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 6 December 2021 at 11:32AM
    Options
    As someone trying to offload some unneeded books of first class stamps, there are surprisingly few people who want them at a decent price.
    Sellers on eBay sell them cheaper than I would want to, and on FB market place people are suspicious of fakes. 
    And there are a lot less people posting things than perhaps a few years ago, with the rise of e-cards etc.
    My stamps cost me nothing so I’ve little to use but it’s not something I’d want to take a punt on unless I was getting them cheaply in the first place. And possibly not even then. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback