What to buy 13 year old boy?

My nephew is 13 in a few weeks and we have zero idea of what to get him. I have spoken to my brother and sister in law and they are also struggling with ideas so haven’t been able to suggest anything other than he has plenty of cash he has never spent from previous birthdays so would definitely prefer a gift.

I don’t have kids so I have absolutely no idea what would be popular. 

He likes football but has lots of football/arsenal stuff already.

Any parents of teenagers got any ideas? Happy to spend up to £40 but would prefer to keep it around £30.

Thanks!

Comments

• baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    videogame, apple or android vouchers or failing that ask him what he would like.
  • Misslayed
    Misslayed Posts: 14,158 Senior Ambassador
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Dystopian genre novels for young adults went down well with a 14 year old relation
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Competition Time, Site Feedback and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com All views are my own and not the official line of Money Saving Expert.
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 9,906 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    How mature is he for 13?  I'm wondering if he needs to start shaving (even if only monthly) or is at the point of wanting cologne or similar.  It's hard to know with young chaps - I had a school mate who needed to shave twice a day at that age and currently have a work colleague, mid 20s, who has just a light covering of peach fuzz.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    What does he like apart from football?

Does he read, make models, play board games, jigsaws?
  • baza52
    baza52 Posts: 3,029 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    sheramber said:

its 2021 not 1950
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    baza52 said:
    sheramber said:

its 2021 not 1950
    Plenty of  books, annuals, games designed for teenagers. There must be a market for them. 

Noit every child wants to sit at a computer or game machine all the time.

• Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Rather than a thing to hold, what about a thing to do?

Cinema vouchers, Nando's vouchers, depends on whether he is a mature or young 13 yo and the amount of freedom he has.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    At that age we bought DS a lot of things aimed round him playing computer games eg a gaming mouse, gaming mousemat etc. Now 21 and on a computer degree he still has a lot of things from those days.
    Does he enjoy gaming and if so in what format eg xbox, computer etc you could perhaps buy something based round that.

Is he into clothes, his hair? Anything you could buy based round that? 
  • Owleyes00
    Owleyes00 Posts: 244 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Thank you for the ideas. He is not into clothes or his appearance yet. I like the Nando’s voucher idea although might need to have a chat with my sister IL about whether he would actually use it. It’s such a funny age!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,648 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    I think at the age of 13 they are capable of deciding for themselves what they want for their birthday.
    A gift doesn't have to be a surprise.
    Better you buy something he really wants rather than spend money on something that has to be returned (if that is even possible) or left unused in his room.

At that age my nephew sat with the Argos catalogue and gave me a comprehensive list - including order numbers - of what he would like.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback