🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Halifax Share Dealing

Options
Halifax Share Dealing have restricted my account until I provide authorized original bank statements from my HSBC current account. HSBC will not provide this service and state that Halifax have no right to ask for them. Do these statements come under Data Protection?

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,715 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tomken said:
    Halifax Share Dealing have restricted my account until I provide authorized original bank statements from my HSBC current account.
    What exactly do they mean by 'authorized' statements? 

Tomken said:
    HSBC will not provide this service
    HSBC should already have been issuing you with statements, either in traditional paper form or PDF equivalent made available if you're paperless, so it's not clear what service you're asking them for? 

Tomken said:
    and state that Halifax have no right to ask for them.
    Halifax can ask for what they like, it's nothing to do with HSBC, although likewise HSBC can refuse to comply.

Tomken said:
    Do these statements come under Data Protection?
    I don't believe anything within the Data Protection Act compels them to reissue statements in 'original' form, but they'd be obliged to issue a summary of transactions if that's what you wanted.

https://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/banking-made-easy/online-statements/ says:

Sharing a copy of your statement

If you need a copy of your statement, for example when asked to prove your address, your digital statement is just as valid as the paper version.

You can download Mobile and Online Banking statements as PDFs so you can share them or print them at home.

You can still ask for a one-off printed copy of your statement by sending us a message through Online Banking. 

Alternatively, you can:

• AskAsk
    AskAsk Posts: 2,590 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    they are asking to see your HSBC statements as proof of the account belonging to you as part of their money laundering checks.  you can get the paper statements from HSBC if you into their branch but you will need to pay for this service.
  • ranciduk
    ranciduk Posts: 668 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I get monthly paper statements from HSBC for their current account 

doesn’t cost me anything at all

• Tomken
    Tomken Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I download PDF statements to print but Halifax asked for HSBC verified statements. Went to HSBC branch and was informed by Premiership person they do not do this and Halifax had no right to request them.
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi,
    set up an HSBC online account and print off statements, or copy and send to Halifax.
  • AskAsk
    Options
    ranciduk said:

for people who opt for onlne statements, to get the paper statements you have to go into a branch to ask for one and they often charge for this service as it is a one off thing.  if you had opted for paper statements then that is free.
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,576 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2021 at 3:44PM
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    ranciduk said:

for people who opt for onlne statements, to get the paper statements you have to go into a branch to ask for one and they often charge for this service as it is a one off thing.  if you had opted for paper statements then that is free.
    I don't think opting for online statements precludes you from later changing your mind. Certain account types may be online only. Though it is not clear whether a standard paper statement would be "authorized" in the parlance of HSDL.
    An original pdf statement, which may be digitally signed, would be more secure than a paper statement, which is easier to forge. Perhaps this is what HSDL means?
  • AskAsk
    Options
    Tomken said:
    I download PDF statements to print but Halifax asked for HSBC verified statements. Went to HSBC branch and was informed by Premiership person they do not do this and Halifax had no right to request them.
    PDF documents are not always accepted as they are easily edited.  Paper statements can also be forged but a bit more diffcult than just sitting on your sofa pressing a few buttons to doctor a PDF document   :D

The halifax is asking for the paper statements but they worry it will be forged and so they want the statements to be verified as a true copy by your bank.  They are a bit silly as a paper statement together with your ID checks should be fine.  

I have seen bank statements issued by HSBC with the manager's covering letter to confirm their authenticity before so they do provide them.  There was a fee payable.

Maybe ask to speak to the branch manager and ask if it is possible for you to pay for a covering letter from the manager to state that the statements are a true copy.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,715 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    ranciduk said:

for people who opt for onlne statements, to get the paper statements you have to go into a branch to ask for one....
    Not true - other methods are available, as shown in the HSBC website extract quoted earlier....
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,576 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 24 October 2021 at 3:49PM
    Options
    AskAsk said:
    Tomken said:
    PDF documents are not always accepted as they are easily edited.  Paper statements can also be forged but a bit more diffcult than just sitting on your sofa pressing a few buttons to doctor a PDF document   :D
    This is untrue. It is impossible to edit a digitally signed pdf, even a single pixel that is changed will cause the signature verification to fail. It is quite easy to mock up a fake paper version, you can certainly do so while sitting on your sofa using general household IT equipment and software. Certainly in the distant past the converse was true, but things have changed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure