We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cylinder Gas for Domestic Heating Costs

Options
Hi

I am looking at a 2 bed 1870's mid-terrace house with a combi boiler run off cylinder gas (plus wood burning stove). The thought of the heating costs are putting me off though!

Typically, how big a difference is the running costs compared to mains gas?

Comments

• QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hedgepigs said:
    Hi

I am looking at a 2 bed 1870's mid-terrace house with a combi boiler run off cylinder gas (plus wood burning stove). The thought of the heating costs are putting me off though!
    Typically, how big a difference is the running costs compared to mains gas?
    I'm really out of touch of the costs of bottled LPG but there are around 14kWh in a kg.
    If a kg of gas costs £1.50, that's 11p/kWh. Mains gas is closer to 4p/kWh for most people, so LPG is almost 3x the price.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • Hedgepigs
    Hedgepigs Posts: 146 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you, that's helpful :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.9K Work, Benefits & Business