Work, LCWRA and Fit notes

I was granted lcwra in 2019 and it was included in my latest payment this week.  I logged into my UC account yesterday and I have a to do task requesting I provide details of a fit note. I have not had to do this since I was awarded lcwra. I started work on the 27th September so I imagine this has triggered this. I have requested a fit note via my cpn but won't get a response until Monday at the earliest

Could this be an error? 
Does this mean I no longer have lcwra?
Am I going to be expected to provide fit notes continously? 

Beginning to think that going back to work was a mistake.
I'm Ever hopeful!
:j:j:j:j

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Posts: 15,696 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You should not have to provide a Fit Note if you have LCWRA. Starting work shouldn't prompt a request for a Fit Note.

Starting work may prompt a reassessment of your Work Capability status but that requires DWP to send you a new health questionnaire. If the impact tat your health has on you has changed such that you no longer meet the criteria for LCWRA you should inform them (but you may wish to take advice before doings so).

In the short term I would post a message in your journal querying the request on the basis that as you have LCWRA you understood atet Fit Notes are not required.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    calcotti said:
    You should not have to provide a Fit Note if you have LCWRA. Starting work shouldn't prompt a request for a Fit Note.

Starting work may prompt a reassessment of your Work Capability status but that requires DWP to send you a new health questionnaire. If the impact tat your health has on you has changed such that you no longer meet the criteria for LCWRA you should inform them (but you may wish to take advice before doings so).

In the short term I would post a message in your journal querying the request on the basis that as you have LCWRA you understood atet Fit Notes are not required.
    I am sure you are correct about the fit note but am wondering if it easier for the OP to just to send a fit note when they can.

Since the OP has started work then it is a big probability that the DWP is questioning their ability to work with LCWRA.

Since there is still a backlog for reassessments then is is possible that the DWP is trying to take a shorter route and asking for a fit note to confirm their present health status without doing a reassessment?

Looking at the OP's previous posts they mention wanting to work from home.  OP, are you working from home? If you are working from home do the DWP know this? 

Just wondering if the DWP are thinking 'outside the box'.

• I will add a journal note querying this as Calcotti advises.

I will also update the system with the fit note when I receive it as per PMLindyloo in the hopes that this short circuits a reassessment.
    I'm Ever hopeful!
  • This is the response I got  back

"You were awarded LCWRA for 13 months. 
    This is now due to be referred to medical services for another assessment to done and a new decision to be made. 
    Due to this you will need to supply fit notes again."

So I guess I am being reassessed soon. :(
    I'm Ever hopeful!
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    Yes, they will now refer you for another assessment and you will receive the form in the post. As you've already been found to have LCWRA then fit notes are not usually needed because your current award will apply until a new decision says otherwise.
  • That doesn't make sense though, because LCWRA is a decision that continues until or unless a reassessment makes a different decision.  Very odd. 

At least you have a heads-up that the form may be on its way.
  • calcotti
    Like others I don't think they should be requiring Fit Notes even if carrying out another assessment.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • All I can do is provide the fit note as requested and hope that that is enough to ward off the reassessment as it certainly hasn't been sent out yet as I was advised it would automatically be noted in my journal when it was issued. I knew the reassessment was overdue; currently, it has been 26 months since it was awarded so I knew it would be soon.

I suffer from paranoia and things out of the ordinary and not following rules like this bothers me.  Whether I am well enough to work is debatable but I have told them that I am completing data entry working from home which I don't think contradicts the reason for my LCWRA but who knows.  The one good thing about COVID is that it has done wonders for the 'work at home' job market.
    I'm Ever hopeful!
  • calcotti
    edited 19 October 2021 at 8:32PM
    All I can do is provide the fit note as requested and hope that that is enough to ward off the reassessment ..
    I don’t think it will ward off a reassessment. They seem to have asked for it because they are initiating a reassessment.

I have found this clear guidance
    http://data.parliament.uk/DepositedPapers/Files/DEP2020-0646/92._Medical_Evidence__including_Fit_notes_v6.0.pdf#page6
    Medical evidence following Work Capability Assessment

Medical evidence is not required after a Work Capability Assessment decision has been made for the condition relating to that assessment.

If a claimant continues to provide medical evidence after a Work Capability Assessment decision and the condition has not changed, they must be reminded that this is no longer needed for that condition as a decision has been made.

When the claimant’s Work Capability Assessment decision is due for review, there is no need to ask them to provide any more fit notes.
    Note the last paragraph.
  • I think they are doing what PMLindyLoo suggested earlier in the chat and are considering not reassessing me if I can prove I am still ill but working.  I have a 3-month sicknote in the post to me so hopefully, that will keep them happy for a while.
    I'm Ever hopeful!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport