We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Martin Lewis: ‘Do nothing’ with your energy supply and go onto the price cap when your deal ends - t

Options
MSE_Sophie
MSE_Sophie Posts: 123 MSE Staff
First Anniversary First Post
Do nothing with your energy supply and roll onto the price cap when your deal ends rather than trying to switch. 

Read the full story:

Martin Lewis: ‘Do nothing’ with your energy supply and go onto the price cap when your deal ends

If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• dbks
    dbks Posts: 336 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited 8 October 2021 at 6:27PM
    Options
    Why would you not simply switch to British Gas if your existing tariff is coming to an end and take advantage of their super cheap, no standing charge, 12m fixed tariff? (no early exit fees either)

So many MSE forumites have done just that, they claim.

Much cheaper than any default tariff and  no risk of it increasing until October 2022 :)

You won't find it on any comparison site, nor on BG's own website by simply requesting a quote. But lots of forumites have accessed it simply by using the BG chat facility, or phoning BG.

Ask for it by name:
    British Gas Zero Fixed Oct 22

Don't be disheatened if at first you don't succeed, try try, try again. It is possible say MSE forumites, even for brand new customers!
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6303163/electricity-only

• MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    It is only cheaper for electricity, not gas, and it may get withdrawn at any moment so it is not without risk if you cannot switch directly to it...
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 8 October 2021 at 6:31PM
    Options
    dbks said:
    Why would you not simply switch to British Gas, and take advantage of their super cheap, no standing charge, 12m fixed tariff? (no early exit fees either)
    Because to switch to BG you need to sign up to one of their fixed deals, all of which are significantly more expensive than the current Ofgem cap, with no guarantee that you'll be allowed to switch to that particular discontinued tariff? And if they don't let you switch, you're then stuck paying the higher fix?
    For example, in my region BG want £2118 for 12000kWh of gas and 2900kWh of electricity, which on a price-capped variable tariff would be £1261 - that's £851 more.
    N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • dbks
    edited 8 October 2021 at 7:22PM
    Options
    MWT said:
    It is only cheaper for electricity, not gas, and it may get withdrawn at any moment so it is not without risk if you cannot switch directly to it...
    I think it will still be on the same list, in 6 months time. No sweat. :)

Gas is charged at about 6.8p/kWh or less and no standing charge, which is less than most tariffs available today ignoring their standing charge (except a supplier's default tariff, that will sky rocket especially for gas in 6 months time)
  • dbks
    Options
    QrizB said:
    dbks said:
    Why would you not simply switch to British Gas, and take advantage of their super cheap, no standing charge, 12m fixed tariff? (no early exit fees either)
    Because to switch to BG you need to sign up to one of their fixed deals, ..
    Not true.
    @Gerry1 will explain to you how to do it as a new customer. You know @Gerry1 don't you? :wink:
  • Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,946 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    MWT said:
    If you can get it, in my region it can also be very attractive for gas: if your gas consumption is less than 77% of the average value it's even cheaper than the cap.  Also, no standing charge and no exit fees.
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,307 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 October 2021 at 9:17PM
    Options
    Gerry1 said:
    If you can get it, in my region it can also be very attractive for gas: if your gas consumption is less than 77% of the average value it's even cheaper than the cap.  Also, no standing charge and no exit fees.
    That is a fair point, it will certainly suit lower gas users better due to the no standing charge.
    I do remain convinced that if the trickle of people finding out about the tariff becomes a flood it is likely to get shut down or prices adjusted upwards, so one to move to sooner rather than later if it is appealing...

• WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,709 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    dbks said:
    Why would you not simply switch to British Gas if your existing tariff is coming to an end and take advantage of their super cheap, no standing charge, 12m fixed tariff? (no early exit fees either)

So many MSE forumites have done just that, they claim.

Much cheaper than any default tariff and  no risk of it increasing until October 2022 :)

You won't find it on any comparison site, nor on BG's own website by simply requesting a quote. But lots of forumites have accessed it simply by using the BG chat facility, or phoning BG.

Ask for it by name:
    British Gas Zero Fixed Oct 22

Don't be disheatened if at first you don't succeed, try try, try again. It is possible say MSE forumites, even for brand new customers!
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6303163/electricity-only

I'll try my luck with this tomorrow and see where I get to.
  • Blackjack_Davy
    Options
    Do nothing with your energy supply and roll onto the price cap when your deal ends rather than trying to switch. 
    Does that include ex-Igloo customers who have been forced onto Eon?
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
  • TiVo_Lad
    TiVo_Lad Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    As a victim of Symbio Energy's demise, I will apparently be switched to EON Next (if they can be bothered to contact me) at a per Kwh rate that is 85% more expensive (the standing charge has increased by 1.1%) than I previouly paid. Yet, there is a market fix available that is "only" 58% more expensive (and a standing charge that is 27% cheaper). Why would I wait a nanosecond and not switch to a cheaper tarrif? Yes, the new supplier might go bust next month, but the same price cap will still be in place, whilst in the mean time I'm saving money.

What's more dangerous is the Price "Cap" becomes an effective Price "Floor". If there's a big rout of smaller suppliers, where's the incentive for any of them to reduce prices rather than keep the prices high and shore up their balance sheets. Higher energy prices are here to stay.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure