Boilerjuice "under delivery" charge of £20

Options
We have been a Boilerjuice customer for 13 years and had a mainly positive experience.

Today however, we had an oil delivery and were charged £20 as an "under delivery" charge - we had ordered 800 litres but it turned out only needed 590. Delivery was by RDS Fuels Ltd.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of charge with their oil delivery? Never seen anything like this before.

Comments

• maisie_cat
    maisie_cat Posts: 2,068 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Academoney Grad First Post
    Options
    According to their terms of supply yes they can charge, there is clearly a cost associated with having to drive around with oil that has been ordered but cannot be delivered.
  • QrizB
    QrizB Posts: 13,822 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I was going to suggest buying a couple of these in case you get the same problem next time, but that would be £20 too!

N. Hampshire, he/him. Octopus Go elec & Tracker gas / Shell BB / Lyca mobi. Ripple Kirk Hill member.
    2.72kWp PV facing SSW installed Jan 2012. 11 x 247w panels, 3.6kw inverter. 30MWh generated, long-term average 2.6 Os.
    Taking a break, hope to be back eventually.
    Ofgem cap table, Ofgem cap explainer. Economy 7 cap explainer. Gas vs E7 vs peak elec heating costs.
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,609 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    As your delivery was over 200 litre less than you ordered, there's a fair chance that you've cuase them a problem with their delivery schedules - they probably wouldn't worry too much about an odd 50 litres or so but  in your case 25% less than you ordered is significant.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    fotw02 said:
    We have been a Boilerjuice customer for 13 years and had a mainly positive experience.

Still a positive experience surely. Seems unfair to blame others for a problem of your own making.  
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,387 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I user a local independent. It costs more but he delivers next day and he has helped with the tank and more.   He gets a lot of "fill ups" where amounts are not necessarily known until he gets there.   That is factored into the cost of the fuel.

Boilerjuice farm it out to suppliers that work out the rounds and how much is needed to minimise the cost as much as possible.  By over ordering by more than 25%, you have reduced their already thin margin.   It only takes a few people to do that for the whole thing to become loss making.  Hence why they charge.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback