Breastfeeding

I feel very angry and upset about being asked to leave my local Costa coffee store because I was breastfeeding my newborn. 

I was well covered and I even placed a Muslin cloth over both of us so there wasn’t any skin on show. If I’d work a scoop neck top there would have been more skin visible. 

A server came up to me and asked me to leave as they had received a complaint from a customer. 

I wish I’d said something or refused to leave but I was so upset and taken aback that I didn’t really know what to do so just grabbed my toddler and baby and left. 

Just wanted to rant about this really. Every time I think about it I get more and more cross!

Comments

• "Outrageous behavior on behalf of Costa !"

And that customer. Possibly some old duffer like me? I would never,ever complain about one of the most beautiful things in the world.
    The totally natural act of a mother breast feeding her baby.
    I don't use Costa and probably never will but whoever put the "server" in that situation should be ashamed of themselves.
    I would, as suggested, fire off a strong complaint to their head office.

• sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 18,617
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    A Google search for Costa breastfeeding brings up several cases going back years despite 'a spokesman for Costa saying they support breastfeeding'.

Sounds like there is a training need.
  • Auntycaz
    Auntycaz Posts: 3,245
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm sorry you had to go through this. You should definitely make a complaint to Costa. I am disappointed that nobody came to your defence. Don't let their disgusting behaviour upset you.
  • Outrageous behavior on behalf of Costa !

Go see the manager asap and demand an apology and if they refuse take it further as above.

As it's your local and if you are a regular, ask for some kind of restitution as well as an apology, a month of complimentary drinks and cake at least.

You could really have them over a barrel if you have the time and energy to pursue the issue.

I hope you do !

EDIT. You have the moral support of this 62 year old male duffer !

Not really.

It's poor behaviour of a likely undertrained and underpaid member of staff who thought the easy option was to get the OP to stop what they were doing rather than argue with an irate customer.

I'm aware that they represent the company whilst working, but I hardly believe this is "company policy" by Costa, so blaming them for this is a bit unreasonable.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,189
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Forumite
    Don't let it put you off, my wife breastfed for over 4 years in all sorts of public places, cafes, restaurants, trains, stations, ferries high streets, parks etc, and never once did anyone complain, and this was 20 years ago, so I think it's quite rare for people to complain about it. Anyone traumatised by someone's natural body doing something perfectly natural and healthy should perhaps seek mental health help.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.3K Life & Family
  • 246.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback