🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Painting skirting boards

Options
Please please does anyone have any tips on how to paint a skirting board without having to take up the carpet??
thanks

Comments

• aussielle
    aussielle Posts: 705 Forumite
    Options
    masking tape..peel it off when you've finished painting
    Laughter is the sun
    that drives winter
    from the human face
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    i knew there'd be a really simple solution! thanks, Aussielle!
  • N9eav
    N9eav Posts: 4,742 Forumite
    Options
    You can buy a flat plastic bevelled thingy at Most DIY shops. It has a handle and you can use it as a drip catcher for window and carpets etc.
    NO to pasty tax We won!!!! Just shows that people power works! Don't be apathetic to your cause!
  • Jolaaled
    Jolaaled Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can buy a flat plastic bevelled thingy at Most DIY shops.  It has a handle and you can use it as a drip catcher for window and carpets etc.  

Cheers, N9
  • squarecat
    squarecat Posts: 111 Forumite
    Options
    I have also used Lakeland fleximats to protect the carpet.
    Smile it confuses people!
  • sharonp123_2
    Options
    squarecat wrote: »
    I have also used Lakeland fleximats to protect the carpet.

I have been painting my skirting boards and found Squarecat's suggestion to protect my carpet. I bought some Lakeland flaxible chopping boards today and I am THRILLED at how well they work when painting. Thank you so much - I was going mad before I found these.
    sharonp123:j
  • olias
    olias Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    Options
    Carboard! - Cereal packets are best. Just tuck them under the skirting to protect them and paint. The advantage of this is that you can leave them in place until the paint is touch dry (provided you have plenty of cardboard that is!) The problem with the plastic protector things is that everytime you move them along to do the next bit of skirting, the carpet pile springs back up and sticks to the wet paint.

Olias
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    You beat me too it olias :D I was going to suggest the same, its so easy, you just place the cardboard against the skirtings and press hard against the carpet.
  • Tucker
    Tucker Posts: 1,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Is there any reason why, you wouldn't just lift the carpet back off the grip rods, peel it back or so a foot and tape it or put something on it till the paint dries?

or am I missing an obvious reason why that's not practical?
  • suisidevw
    suisidevw Posts: 2,256 Forumite
    Options
    Because then you have to stretch it to refit properly?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport