124»

Comments

• ItsComingRome
    ItsComingRome Posts: 505 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 16 October 2021 at 2:04AM
    Options
    330d said:
    So I have gone ahead with SSE fibre broadband. The engineer is coming out in a couple of weeks .

It's not the cheapest but it was my only option for fibre.

Let's hope they stick to there word and offer me high speed fibre broadband!
    That's a really stupid move.

Nobody can offer you a better sync speed if they're all ultimately using BT equipment, regardless of what their speedcheckers say.

Broadband is, by and large, no different than electricity or gas. If the underlying supplier is the same (Openreach) the sync speed is the same.

https://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/sse/reviews/

Please don't buy based on sync or average speeds, people. They're all going to offer you the same sync speed. They may not offer you anything like the same download speeds or customer service, however.
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    330d said:
    So I have gone ahead with SSE fibre broadband. The engineer is coming out in a couple of weeks .

It's not the cheapest but it was my only option for fibre.

Let's hope they stick to there word and offer me high speed fibre broadband!
    That's a really stupid move.

Nobody can offer you a better sync speed if they're all ultimately using BT equipment, regardless of what their speedcheckers say.

Broadband is, by and large, no different than electricity or gas. If the underlying supplier is the same (Openreach) the sync speed is the same.

https://www.broadband.co.uk/broadband/providers/sse/reviews/

Please don't buy based on sync or average speeds, people. They're all going to offer you the same sync speed. They may not offer you anything like the same download speeds or customer service, however.
    You're missing the point. The difference in advertised speeds between the various providers is down to lack of capacity for FTTC to the OP's property (and some of the neighbours). It may well be that SSE has available slots, although this may not be the case when it comes to the actual installation date.
  • GrumpyDil
    GrumpyDil Posts: 1,621 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had exactly this when I moved into my existing property. The only provider who would quote for FTTC was Vodafone.

I even spoke to a couple of companies who were adamant that they could not provide FTTC as they had no availability.

I was a little suspicious about why Vodafone could provide when the others couldn't but Vodafone did provide their 76mb service so...
  • flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    neilmcl said:
    You're missing the point. The difference in advertised speeds between the various providers is down to lack of capacity for FTTC to the OP's property (and some of the neighbours). It may well be that SSE has available slots, although this may not be the case when it comes to the actual installation date.
    I'm curious about these "slots" that are often mentioned when availability of grades of broadband service are discussed.

Are these physical slots in the green cabinet at the end of the street or are they something physical/logical in the local exchange?

When FTTC (or anther service/capacity increase) is implemented can the ISPs pre-book a number of "slots" in the cabinet/exchange in the expectation of using these at a future date?

Does the level of service that one ISP receives from Openreach differ from that offered to another according to the commercial agreement between the parties? 
  • neilmcl
    neilmcl Posts: 19,460 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 16 October 2021 at 10:06AM
    Options
    neilmcl said:
    I'm curious about these "slots" that are often mentioned when availability of grades of broadband service are discussed.

Are these physical slots in the green cabinet at the end of the street or are they something physical/logical in the local exchange?

When FTTC (or anther service/capacity increase) is implemented can the ISPs pre-book a number of "slots" in the cabinet/exchange in the expectation of using these at a future date?

Does the level of service that one ISP receives from Openreach differ from that offered to another according to the commercial agreement between the parties? 
    Yes these are physical slots/ports in the cabinet's DSLAMs and at the exchange. I've no idea how the ISP contracts work in terms of capacity but I assume they lease a set number of slots/lines from OR and when they run out, they run out. If you read the article I posted you'll see that this is still a fairly rare occurrence with only around 2% of all cabinets running at capacity and this be alleviated further as customers move over to FTTP.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback