PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Have you ever learnt a new skill from online videos?

Options
As someone who learnt how to knit and how to propagate plants from YouTube videos, and is currently trying to learn shuffle moves(!) from the young folk on TikTok, I would like to know...

What new skills have you picked up purely from watching online tutorials?

Comments

• prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 5 October 2021 at 5:43PM
    Options
    I learnt how to sew with a sewing machine via YouTube, started in Aug 2018 and how to use and fix basic things that go wrong with them, especially as a beginner.  There are great videos for sewing - everything from using a machine to how to make your own patterns and everything in-between, I have learnt so much and follow quite a few people now in the sewing world (especially in the world of historical costuming).  And all for free - in the best MSE Tradition :) 

Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • -taff
    -taff Posts: 14,642 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I learned to knit, use an overlocker, make furniture, change the valve in the cistern, change the ball valve in the attic overflow, make an outdoor covered pergola...you name it, if I don't know how to do something, I'll go on youtube and learn how.
    Shampoo? No thanks, I'll have real poo...
  • goldfinches
    goldfinches Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I've learnt to bake from Delia Smith and if you want to learn to cook anything I can't recommend her highly enough, she really can teach you to produce delicious food and all of her lessons are free online to anyone.
    Once I'd grasped the basics from Delia then Nigella, Good Housekeeping, BBC Good Food, Olive, the Happy Foodie, Delicious, Jamie and Yotam Ottolenghi all helped me get further on and I've learned some lovely techniques and great new recipes from all of them.
    I have learned a lot and am completely converted to this method of learning even though you cannot ask questions during the lesson as I now think that it is better to try the dish yourself as that often answers your queries anyway and I suspect this applies to other online tuition too.

"Only the most pleasant characters in this book are portraits of living people and the events here recorded unfortunately never took place"

The Tiger In The Smoke
    by
    Margery Allingham
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,757 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I learned how to replace a washer / valve in the toilet cistern - was filling very slowly now sorted
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,690 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I learnt how to knot netting from a YouTube video during the first lockdown. I wanted something soft-ish but strong for my peas to scramble up; the cheap plastic "pea netting" I'd used before was horrible & damaged the plants. Made a lovely net, but sadly the rabbits ate the peas before they got to 6" high! Never mind, my cucumbers have galloped up it in my little greenhouse this year instead.

I've also made glittery 5-point origami stars from a YouTube video, to decorate my corner of a marquee at a music festival. Looked stunning (if I say it myself) and got me lots of compliments! Lots of other things too, and my DD2's just built herself a bed, mostly out of scrap timber, partly guided by YouTube.
    Angie - GC June 24: £155.43/£420: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 15/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Shropshirelass
    Options
    I'm finding Jacques Pepin fascinating to watch at present, even just making pancakes (sorry crepes) or poaching an egg. You can always learn something from an expert.
    Previously learnt how to fix various problems with mobile phone, Kindle, dishwasher and washing machine, was always frightened to touch them, but have impressed DH with my expertise. Unfortunately he has learnt to look up YouTube himself now so he pretends to be the expert.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I learned to knit and crochet by watching YouTube tutorials.
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,411 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have learnt how to take cuttings from plants; how to grow various vegetables from seeds. 
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Toonie
    Toonie Posts: 1,147 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I've learnt most of my creative skills on You Tube. Whether that be colour theory for painting, jewellery making and wire work, drawing and sketching, watercolour techniques, and making upcycled home decor and decorations from charity shop finds. I always check out video tutorials.
    Grocery budget in 2023 £2279.18/£2700

Grocery budget in 2022 £2304.76/£2400
    Grocery budget in 2021 £2107.86/£2200
    Grocery budget in 2020 £2193.02/£2160

Saving for Christmas 2023 #15 £ 90/ £365
  • Grumpysally
    Options
    I learnt how to knot netting from a YouTube video during the first lockdown. I wanted something soft-ish but strong for my peas to scramble up; the cheap plastic "pea netting" I'd used before was horrible & damaged the plants. Made a lovely net, but sadly the rabbits ate the peas before they got to 6" high! Never mind, my cucumbers have galloped up it in my little greenhouse this year instead.

I've also made glittery 5-point origami stars from a YouTube video, to decorate my corner of a marquee at a music festival. Looked stunning (if I say it myself) and got me lots of compliments! Lots of other things too, and my DD2's just built herself a bed, mostly out of scrap timber, partly guided by YouTube.
    Do you have a link for the netting video please? Thanks  :):smile:  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport