DWP Court Challenge

12346»

Replies

• Gig1968Gig1968 Forumite
    301 Posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts
    ✭✭
    I meant the government were grateful to spend it, so they should be able to spend some more. Reading on different parts of the internet sounds like the case is going well, but I'm sure the judges decision will not be made till after xmas.
  • kaMelokaMelo Forumite
    1K Posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if grateful is the right word but certainly it's always easier to spend someone else's money.
    301 Posts
    ✭✭
    I have just read part of the government barristers statement to the high court and part of the reason for not uplifting was obviously fiscal but also it would not have been possible to use the old legacy benefit IT system to add an increase of £ 20 a week to all claimants. I'm sure the judge will take that as a joke of an excuse, can you believe in this day and age the government are using this as an excuse shameful. If I was the judge that would be enough for me to uphold the case. Discrimination cannot be blamed on an it system., Be funny if they lose how that system suddenly works if the high court upholds the discrimination case, and they gave to backdate payments.
    301 Posts
    ✭✭
    Anyone heard of when the ruling is to be announced
  • gbhxugbhxu Forumite
    136 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Gig1968 said:
    I have just read part of the government barristers statement to the high court and part of the reason for not uplifting was obviously fiscal but also it would not have been possible to use the old legacy benefit IT system to add an increase of £ 20 a week to all claimants. I'm sure the judge will take that as a joke of an excuse, can you believe in this day and age the government are using this as an excuse shameful. If I was the judge that would be enough for me to uphold the case. Discrimination cannot be blamed on an it system., Be funny if they lose how that system suddenly works if the high court upholds the discrimination case, and they gave to backdate payments.
    Pure bull s**t!

The increase to UC was announced in March 2020 and ESA rates went up in April 2020.#

There would have been nothing stopping the extra £20 being added to personal allowances.

i.e. instead of setting the personal allowance for over 25s to £74.35, they just had to set it to £94.35

301 Posts
    ✭✭
    Totally agreee
  • Gig1968 said:
    Hi Gig1968, would you mind linking to the statement please?  I haven't been able to find this online.  Thanks if you are able to 
  • gbhxugbhxu Forumite
    136 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Gig1968 said:
    Hi Gig1968, would you mind linking to the statement please?  I haven't been able to find this online.  Thanks if you are able to 

https://www.bigissue.com/news/social-justice/dwp-legacy-benefits-freeze-left-disabled-people-living-on-historically-low-payments-court-hears/

Edward Brown, the barrister acting for the government, told the court that “careful consideration has been given to the specific issue, namely whether or not to uplift legacy benefits.

“The reasons why the government has decided not to uplift legacy benefits are because it would be contrary to the specific fiscal and social policy goals” and it would be “inefficient and not capable of delivery via legacy payment systems,” he added.

Like I said before. The increase in UC was announced in March 2020. The extra £20 could have been added when we legacy benefits increased in April 2020

• Ian41306Ian41306 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post First Anniversary
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Jay_1987 said:
    Hi there,

I am on income based ESA and was advised that a court case was going ahead for those on legacy benefits as we were excluded from extra money to help out throughout the pandemic where Universal Credit recipients got an extra £20 per week.

Does anyone know anything else about this? I couldn’t find a thread where it was getting discussed? Is the court case likely to be successful and if so are those on benefits like ESA likely to get back payments?

Thanks,

We are awaiting notification of mr justice swift’s judgement hand down hopefully before Xmas when I get word from our solicitor I will post date here