Hotpoint Washing Machine continually breaking - what are my rights?

Options
Hi

I bought a Hotpoint washing machine in November 2019 from Currys , it came with a one year warranty.

Within that time frame, it broke THREE times, in the same way each time - f05 error caused by blockages in waste pump. Every single time, I have stuck to the engineers advice and washed small items like socks in a pillowcase (even though I’ve never had to do that with a washing machine before!) and now it’s broken YET AGAIN. 

When it broke the first time, I’d only had it a few months and I tried to get a replacement but it was refused. 

I spoke to Hotpoint and, as it’s now out of warranty, they are saying I have to pay money for it to be fixed. They did say if it was an “ongoing issue” they’d look at replacing it- I asked what “ongoing issue” meant given its already broken 4 times in 22 months, and they said they don’t count the times it’s broken whilst under warranty, what a joke!

The advisor said the engineer would arrange for my money to be reimbursed if when he comes out it’s the same issue which it was in 12 months (which it is), however he “couldn’t give me that promise in writing” and so I ended the call as there was no way I was going to part with £124 only to never get it back. He just said the calls were recorded but they didn’t have that “written down!”

Can someone advise what I can do here!? Either guarantee a fee repair or ideally how to I get Hotpoint to refund me or get me a new machine!?

Comments

• JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Rights  ?? You would mean Consumer Rights not Warranty .
    Warranty  any T&C  they want no real rights and any refund would be goodwill ..
    Your Rights in law are under Consumer Rights act against the vendor .
    You go to Currys under the law  , they may well ask for an independent report and are entitled to repair replace or refund less usage .
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 2 October 2021 at 5:37PM
    Options
    What kind of debris is getting into the pump?  That is not covered by the warranty anyway, it's a user-inflicted fault. Or are you saying that the machine is throwing false error messages?
    You have no contractual rights with DSG or Hotpoint at all, those ended with the one year warranty. As pointed out above, all you have are your statutory rights under CRA 2015, and since it's more than 6m old, you would have to prove a pre-existing fault by providing an engineer's report at your expense.
    Hotpoint aren't going to refund you anything: your contract is with with DSG as the retailer, and they're not renowned for making such claims easy. your best hope is a partial refund, then you can buy a decent machine from another retailer.
    Too late to point out that if you'd purchased the same machine from JL rather than DSG then you would have had a 2 year warranty and still be within it.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure