Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pursue damages for my bike?



  • Isin2000Isin2000 Forumite
    1 Post
    Third Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    In reality perhaps you should report - but unless you have proof of fault or admission of guilt - or independent witnesses. Simply saying he accepted responsibility is not enough if the motorcyclist denies saying it .

    The police are unlikely to act as no-one was injured - and £80 represents a minor sum for damages - the only exception being perhaps if it was an uninsured rider - when they may prosecute - but would bring no immediate benefit to the poster. I know £80 might be alot to some people - but in the real world for a similar theft with no injury involved you may just get a crime number - not CID and forensics.

    I was knocked off my bike, outside of a police station, in front of a police car, by a driver who freely admitted to me and the officers it was because he was changing a CD not looking where he was going. The officers and I agreed they would make a show of taking down the drivers details and 'put the fear of God into him' then let him off with a stern warning. I
  • Depends how long it takes you to earn £80! It may take time and effort to track him down as you probably don't have insurance to do that for you, and staying mentally invested in that could feel stressful. I'd spend an hour or so on it and if that didn't work I d be inclined to curse him and move on.
  • anotheruseranotheruser Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm in this quandry.

    Very low speed bump but as my car has no damage, the other person's bumper is cracked, there is an assumpton I was at fault.  We were both moving, I was reversing into a car parking spot, they raced up behind and perhaps did not realise I was reversing.
    This happened way back in June/July time.

    We swapped numbers but I don't think they took my reg or even any photos.

    They have called me once to say they're struggling to find a garage... yet I've put our two cars in the garage at least 4 to 5 times since.  I gave my email address for them to send quotes to (the one they managed to find was £300, which was quite expensive they thought).

    While the OP must decide if it's worth their time, there must also be some sort of reasonable limit.
    How long am I going to have to wait?  I don't want this hanging over me any more but the longer it goes on, the more it's reasonable to think they're not that bothered about it.
    If I don't provide specifics to a question, don't ask for them in your answer.
    When I want specific answers, I'll provide the information.
  • chriskilleychriskilley Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Definitely pursue your claim. I had a similar accident - bike struck by a car, that pulled out of a junction after being waved out by another motorist! I asked the guilty party to settle my £100 claim privately but he didn't want to know. However his insurance company did want to settle quickly and I accepted £1000 with the proviso that there was no acceptance of responsibility on his or their behalf.
  • OctaviaPOctaviaP Forumite
    18 Posts
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Posts Name Dropper
    Agree with those who've said to report to the police.
  • Diana2014Diana2014 Forumite
    36 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    If your bike is insured for use on the road (which not all contents policies cover, unless you pay extra for road use - believe it or not!), you'll have to declare the incident when you next insure it, which could affect your own premiums for some years to come.
    So use the information you have to identify the driver and ensure that he has to pay for the damage to your bike (which is "damage to property", after all), rather than your being saddled with the taking the financial hit.

    There is no need for any third party witness to corroborate your account of events. Corroboration is only needed in speeding cases - one person's opinion as to a driver's speed is not enough to convict on, without a second person's supporting opinion or a speed camera to corroborate that. The police habitually get this wrong, so point it out to them if they claim that they can't do anything without a third party witness to support your evidence. (I've done that myself, finally getting the police to launch a prosecution at the very last minute before the short time-limit to prosecute for a road accident expired.)
  • JayDJayD Forumite
    624 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    HHandES said:
    Personally I would report the accident to the police and then contact the Motor Insurance Bureaux (MIB) and make a claim to them, including giving the motorcyclist’s details. The MIB is there to protect 3rd parties from uninsured or untraceable drivers following an accident. The police will be interested in understanding why the motorcyclist chose not to leave his full detail at the scene of the accident.

    This is sound advice. Personally pursuing things like this is time consuming, costly and often unproductive. So use a body that will take it on for you. Good luck :)
  • funagalofunagalo Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Some good advice already provided.  askMID can provide a vehicles insurance details.  Dvla will provide keeper's details - both for a fee.  Do not know where was incident  - most police forces will not be able to investigate due to lack of manpower as not serious.  This is not a fail to stop and other party did provide their details - even tho' only a mobile number.  They can deny everything.
    You appear to have no independent evidence or witness and so would not be able to go before a court and ie police could not take any action.  Some others seem to have offered some strange advice....
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Martin's debt costs masterclass

Eg, balance transfer up to 35 mths at 0%

MSE News

£80 GHD Original IV Styler

Via MSE Blagged code (norm £109)

MSE Deals