Money Moral Dilemma: Should I pursue damages for my bike?



  • If it was me, I'd just pay for the repair myself & write it off. £80 is probably less than you'd pay in excess on an insurance claim, and it's not worth the hassle & unpleasantness of chasing the motorcyclist.  I figure you save a fortune by cycling, and it's just one of those things. 
  • Unfortunately if there were no independent witnesses, or unless you have video footage, the police won’t do anything and you will need to pay it yourself - I’ve just been through a similar situation and I had his details.  Spent hours trying to report it, filling in forms and speaking to police, and completely wasted hours of my life.  It’s a sad world but, save yourself time and pay the £80.

    MIB wont do anything as there is potentially a driver the police could find, they are just too under resourced to do this - this type of crime will only increase as people realise they will get away with this type of behaviour unfortunately, it sends out the wrong message in my opinion!
  • Police won't be interested unless injury or damage to property.
    Had similar happen to me albeit car to car.  Said he'd pay to avoid insurance costs - was a scrape rather than full on crash - however after trying his number a few times and no reply, I ended up going through my insurance.
  • I would take him to the cleaners - personal injury and expenses too! 
  • Primrose
    Primrose Posts: 10,620 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    HHandES said:
    Personally I would report the accident to the police and then contact the Motor Insurance Bureaux (MIB) and make a claim to them, including giving the motorcyclist’s details. The MIB is there to protect 3rd parties from uninsured or untraceable drivers following an accident. The police will be interested in understanding why the motorcyclist chose not to leave his full detail at the scene of the accident.
    I too would report him to the police. He may well have been driving without insurance which is why he,s so anxious not to be traced.  Or an illegal immigrant perhaps?  You'll be doing everybody a favour if the police can track him down.  He might end up killing somebody next time and just ride off into the sunset again. 
  • I think you'd have a few thigs to consider. Starting with the accident itself. Were there any witnesses? If not it is your word against his, he could deny it ever happening, let alone it being his fault. If either is the case then you'll end up in small claims court which will cost both time and money. Also remember you'll have to prove your losses, so you'll need receipts for any parts and work undertaken.

    Then tracing him, if he wasn't insured etc it will all take effort  on your part. From what I recall the MIB have really strict criteria and it isnt a quick process. I haven't worked in insurance for over 20 years so things may well have changed but there will be contact with the last insurer of the bike and so on.

    Morally and in principle yes you should track him down and get him or his insurers to pay, but in terms of your time and effort and possible success, sadly, I'd question whether it was worth it.
  • Yes definitely pursue, £80 is a considerable amount and they agreed they were liable. 
  • Go ahead and pursue the motorcyclist.    (Just don't get stressed while doing it.)
    Society cannot tolerate immoral scum who think is OK to admit blame then disappear.
    Even if a lack of witnesses proves a stumbling block to proof, at least being traced will be a lesson to him and his kind.

    "boshboshbosh2" is talking tosh.  Ignore him.  He is wrong on several counts:-
    1) There is no such thing as "road tax" - "Vehicle Tax" goes into the government fund to pay for anything and everything - Only a very small proportion goes into roads.
    Bike riders cause infinitesimal wear and tear to the road surface (unlike motor vehicles) and do not require the complex infrastructure (giant road signs, traffic lights, yellow lines, etc).
    2) He does not know that you potentially have insurance for your bike, eg through home insurance.
    Anyway, your bike could only do a micro-fraction of the damage that a car could.  He should compare deaths cause by car drivers with those caused by bike riders.
    3) He does not know whether you also have a driving licence and may therefore have passed a "formal competency test" at least as good as any he has

    PW - Driver/Cyclist/ShipsCaptain(retired).

  • He’s probably just busy making you a cake so you can have that as well. 
    So you don’t pay road tax or insurance, don’t have to sit any formal competency test and you want him to compensate you. I’d tell you get on your bike!
    All we learn from this is that you don't like cyclists. That's not even slightly relevant to this question. The motorcyclist was at fault here, that's clear. I think the poster should report this to the police and pursue the other avenues suggested here.
  • REJP
    REJP Posts: 325 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Report to police.
    However, if you don't have names and addresses of witnesses they may not follow up your report, though as others have suggested they would check the offenders details to see if he was legally riding his motor cycle.
    I believe the comment about not exchanging insurance details if nobody was hurt to be inaccurate.  It is not necessary to call the police if nobody is hurt, but to claim on insurance it is necessary to have details whether injured or not.   The bicycle was "injured"!  The insurance details are necessary to make a claim.
    As a matter of interest, how many cyclists have accident insurance?

Meet your Ambassadors


  • All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback
  • 15.1K Coronavirus Support Boards