Costa vent

Pop into Costa to buy 2 takeaway summer berry fruit coolers. Hand over my points (now called 'beans') card as I have enough to get 1 drink free.  Assistant snaps "can't use that you must have the app". Bit odd as the cards OR app are both acceptable for collecting & redeeming purposes, but I don't argue in case Costa rules have changed & just pay for the 2 drinks.

She makes them & I ask politely for a couple of napkins (just to wrap round the cold drinks), in response I get "we're trying to save the planet" & ungraciously dumps 2 on the counter. Charming!

Costa website says "have card or app handy", so I'll leave their complaints dept to advise staff there more fully.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.

Comments

• pulliptears
    pulliptears Posts: 14,575 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    You've met 'that' person I think.

I don't mind Costa, although there is one branch I avoid.  Went in for a coffee at ten to three on a Sunday afternoon to find they had roped off all the seating and the staff were kind of hovering over those sat drinking their coffees.  I asked if we could sit to be told no, seating was closed.  Went elsewhere.  It was one of those Costa's in Next and I happened to be in there a week or two later at the same time and noticed they had done the same.  Can only assume they wanted to close bang on 4 so were roping it all off so they could leave.  Bit naughty really.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    We used to have a local electrical store which locked the door atr 5.15pm as they officially closed at 5 30pm.
  • jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,226 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    You've met 'that' person I think.

I don't mind Costa, although there is one branch I avoid.  Went in for a coffee at ten to three on a Sunday afternoon to find they had roped off all the seating and the staff were kind of hovering over those sat drinking their coffees.  I asked if we could sit to be told no, seating was closed.  Went elsewhere.  It was one of those Costa's in Next and I happened to be in there a week or two later at the same time and noticed they had done the same.  Can only assume they wanted to close bang on 4 so were roping it all off so they could leave.  Bit naughty really.
    What's naughty is Costa only paying its staff until 4 and expecting them to work until 4:15 for free.
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Pop into Costa to buy 2 takeaway summer berry fruit coolers. Hand over my points (now called 'beans') card as I have enough to get 1 drink free.  Assistant snaps "can't use that you must have the app". Bit odd as the cards OR app are both acceptable for collecting & redeeming purposes, but I don't argue in case Costa rules have changed & just pay for the 2 drinks.

She makes them & I ask politely for a couple of napkins (just to wrap round the cold drinks), in response I get "we're trying to save the planet" & ungraciously dumps 2 on the counter. Charming!

Costa website says "have card or app handy", so I'll leave their complaints dept to advise staff there more fully.
    Yep, this new scheme is far worse than the old scheme plus I have lost the value of my previous card points :(

• bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Sadly a disgruntled overworked and very underpaid worker was having a bad day.

These places start early and finish late with workers practically forced to do a lot more hours than they want to do..
  • Yep, this new scheme is far worse than the old scheme plus I have lost the value of my previous card points :(

The old points were converted into the new beans, so how have you let them?
  • Grumpy_chap
    Grumpy_chap Posts: 14,861 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yep, this new scheme is far worse than the old scheme plus I have lost the value of my previous card points :(

The old points were converted into the new beans, so how have you let them?
    The e-mail said we had until end September before the conversion so I was using my points up.  I managed to spend down to £10.30, then the conversion happened early.  The Costa Baristas are unable to actually allow you to redeem the new beans in store.
  • My unused points were converted to beans (6 I believe), which I then added to and was able to redeem for a coffee.
  • Bought 2 coffees today, handed over my costa card for points/beans to be added, Told by a staff member that from mid October only the app will be accepted.

Can't recall seeing that in the "points will be beans in future" info from costa, seems they forgot to add "no app, no beans"!
    Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
  • A few days ago I bought a coffee but couldn't get my phone to connect to the Costa app. Barista said the internet signal was often poor in the store so couldn't use the beans. Told the barista I'd pay instead but he said not to bother. Seems I got a free coffee. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback