Benefits - pre-settled status

Peter4040Peter4040 Forumite
3 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
Hi everyone,

Does the fact that I have a pre-settled status and I've been living in UK only for a couple of months affect my right to apply for benefits any way?

Thanks,

Peter
«1

Replies

  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

    People with pre-settled status

    You have to meet extra conditions to qualify for universal credit if you have pre-settled status under the EU settlement scheme.

    You may also need to meet these conditions if you've applied to the EU settlement scheme and are waiting for a decision.

    You need to show you're in one of the following situations when you claim universal credit.

    Working or self employed

    You can qualify if you've earned at least £797 a month before tax for the last 3 months.

    You can also qualify if you earn less than this or your income changes. For example, if:

    • you're furloughed

    • you work part time hours

    • you're on a zero hours contract

    The DWP looks at the number of hours you work and how much you earn to decide if you have worker or self employed status under EU law.

    Looking for work

    You can usually claim universal credit if you lose your job or become unemployed in the UK.

    You should register with Jobcentre Plus and start looking for work as soon as you can even if you don't need to claim benefits immediately.




  • edited 17 September at 12:08PM
    OhWowOhWow Forumite
    237 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 17 September at 12:08PM
    Basically, Pre-Settled status does not give UK benefits unless you have another Right to Reside.

    Don't confuse your right to reside (live in the UK with a valid pre-settled status) with the right to reside requirement for UK benefits.

    As somebody who has only lived in the UK for a couple of months, you need to be economically active (working, or have retained worker status for a limited time having lost your job) to have UK benefits.





  • edited 17 September at 12:05PM
    OhWowOhWow Forumite
    237 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    edited 17 September at 12:05PM
    Peter4040 said:
    Hi everyone,

    Does the fact that I have a pre-settled status and I've been living in UK only for a couple of months affect my right to apply for benefits any way?

    Thanks,

    Peter

    An EEA citizen had to be in the UK on or before the 31st  December 2020 to be able to be included in the EUSS (UK Withdrawal Agreement) with an appication before 30 June 2021. As you have only been in the UK for a couple of months, are you a non-EEA/Swiss citizen who has obtained Pre-Settled status as a Family Member of an EEA/Swiss citizen living in the UK?
  • Peter4040Peter4040 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Thank you, I applied for Pre-settled Status 12.2021 as an EU citzen, but I've been living in the UK since 05.2021. I'm just wondering how can I prove that I'm working in the UK as a self employed and how much I earn, as I pay NI and tax only after the end of the tax year (05.05.2022). 



  • edited 8 October at 12:47PM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 October at 12:47PM
    Peter4040 said:
    Thank you, I applied for Pre-settled Status 12.2021 as an EU citzen, but I've been living in the UK since 05.2021. I'm just wondering how can I prove that I'm working in the UK as a self employed and how much I earn, as I pay NI and tax only after the end of the tax year (05.05.2022). 
    I think your dates are confused which makes it difficult to respond.
    "I applied for Pre-settled Status 12.2021 " - presumably you mean 12.2020.
    I've been living in the UK since 05.2021 - again do you mean 05.2020
    Peter4040 said:
    Does the fact that I have a pre-settled status and I've been living in UK only for a couple of months affect my right to apply for benefits any way?
    If you have only been here a couple of months that would mean you arrived in July 2021 and would not have been able to apply for Pre-Settled status.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Peter4040Peter4040 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Actually other way:
    I applied for Pre-settled Status 12.2020
    I've been living in the UK since 05.2021 

    Thank you,
  • edited 13 October at 11:05AM
    calcotticalcotti Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 October at 11:05AM
    I don't understand how you could apply for Pre-Settled Status 5 months before you were living in the UK.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peter4040 said:
    Actually other way:
    I applied for Pre-settled Status 12.2020
    I've been living in the UK since 05.2021 

    Thank you,

    I'm no expert on this but how can you apply for this before you've even lived in the UK?
  • sherambersheramber Forumite
    12.4K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

    https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status

    When you can apply from outside the UK

    If you’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you can apply from outside the UK if you hold either a valid passport or national identity card with a biometric chip.

    If you’re from somewhere else, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme from outside the UK if you have a UK-issued biometric residence card (if it has not expired).

  • calcotticalcotti Forumite
    12.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sheramber said:

    https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/applying-for-settled-status

    When you can apply from outside the UK

    If you’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, you can apply from outside the UK if you hold either a valid passport or national identity card with a biometric chip.

    If you’re from somewhere else, you can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme from outside the UK if you have a UK-issued biometric residence card (if it has not expired).

    But presumably have to have been living in UK prior to 31/12/2020 even though abroad at the time of application.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Some rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Latest News and Guides

Cuts announced to alcohol and air passenger duties

And the levy on fuel frozen for 12th year in a row

MSE News

Autumn Budget 2021: full round-up

From minimum wage increases to fuel duty freezes

MSE News