Using SIM card for broadband

Options
All

I may well have missed it when searching, however, I am looking (potentially) to stream a live broadcast (approx 3 / 3.5hrs) in October onto my laptop (it is usually on one of the terrestial channels as it is the second of the NFL games in GB - am going to the first as my team is playing - up the ATL).

Where I work on a Sunday, there is no broadband accessible, so, thought about  creating a mobile hotspot / tethering via my phone for this one-off occasion.

I am currently use Giffgaff as a mobile provider and looking at it's various offerings, I am drawn to the £20 goodybag (either the golden goodybag or the normal £20 offering (I have an (unlocked) Samsung S20 FE phone)), however, I believe that you can only use / make use of an initial 80GB of data for streaming - so am somewhat confused?

My queries are therefore:
What (goody) bag should I get?
Are there any issues I should bear in mind?
Would the 80 or 100GB of data be enough to stream for that long?

TIA

s_d

Sometimes I wonder...
"why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
...and then it hits me
:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
Jesus loves you...A nice thing to hear in church, but a horrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    Options
    Not an answer to your query but Giffgaff have a very active forum of users who basically form their first level of support (it's their big USP). Cut 'n' paste your post above onto there and see what happens. Generally a response takes a few minutes.

https://community.giffgaff.com/t/help-and-support 
  • merchcon55
    merchcon55 Posts: 302 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 September 2021 at 10:21AM
    Options
    All

Where I work on a Sunday, there is no broadband accessible, so, thought about  creating a mobile hotspot / tethering via my phone for this one-off occasion.

FYI the game is on  a Tuesday early morning 01:15 (it's the weekly Monday night game in USA).

Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers8:15 pm
     Monday, September 20th:
  • stinky_daddy
    Options
    All

FYI the game is on  a Tuesday early morning 01:15 (it's the weekly Monday night game in USA).

Detroit Lions at Green Bay Packers8:15 pm
     Monday, September 20th:
    No

I am referring to the JAGS game (when they will be playing over in the UK on the 17th October) and not the Monday game, I think from memory, it was shown live on BBC2 on previous years (whenever, games were in the UK).

Thanks

s_d
    Sometimes I wonder...
    "why is that frisbee getting bigger?"
    ...and then it hits me
    Jesus loves you...A nice thing to hear in church, but a horrible thing to hear in a Mexican prison
    Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
  • Shedman
    Shedman Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 14 September 2021 at 2:54PM
    Options
    If you've got a good Vodafone service where you work you could try Lebara unlimited Sim via Uswitch.  Lebara allow tethering as far as I know.  Its a monthly contract and via Uswitch 1st month is half price so would be £12.50 instead of £25.  Then just set autorenew to Off and let it stop at the end of the 1st month. 

It is also 5g if your phone is 5g capable and you're in a Vodafone 5g area of course
  • Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options

Would the 80 or 100GB of data be enough to stream for that long?

Low – 0.3 GB per hour per device
    Medium – SD: 0.7 GB per hour per device
    High – Best video quality, up to 3 GB per hour per device for HD, and 7 GB per hour per device for Ultra HD

Yes netflix related, so maybe double it for a bad live stream. So Your 80GB is very much overkill depending on the quality you wanted to stream at. And obviously you may not be in a place where UHD streams are possible over mobile even if wherever you want to stream from provides it.

• jnm21
    jnm21 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 18 September 2021 at 4:49AM
    Options
    Check out iPlayer to see what bandwidth it needs - also do a speed test at work... I would want a constant 12Mbps to try streaming HD.  You can multiply it up.  12 x 60 x 60 x 3.5 / 8 / 1024 = roughly 18.5GB  Based on 3.5 hours, you need approx 1.5 times the required Mbps in GB.  So if iPlayer says 7 Mbps that is roughly 10.5GB, etc.

They say HD is 5Mbps so allow 8GB.  https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/questions/getting-started-with-bbc-iplayer/internet-speed

Technically your work will need a TV licence (regardless of how it is streamed).
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback