The value of things

Options

Comments

• Typhoon1
    Options
    Not sure whether I've been put down here?
    I thought the post was about the perceived value of things, therefore if the £7 pudding isn't seen as acceptable VFM what's the problem of choosing something that appears to be closer? I've already indicated that it doesn't bother me what everyone else has, so I'm not forcing my thought on others.
    If your washing machine broke would you shop around for another or would you just buy the first one you saw in the first shop you went in? or..... would you try to fix it? I for one would try to fix it but I wouldn't be turning in my grave if I couldn't and had to shop around for a new one.

• Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,024 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What I really struggle to spend money on is clothes. Apart from underwear and everyday winter trousers, pretty much everything I wear has come from a charity shop, and same for DH. 

It means I have a HUGE choice of things to wear, to the extent I sometimes find a garment I've completely forgotten about.

My siblings laugh at my inability to pass a charity shop.

Now, one of my sons is getting married next year. Part of me would LOVE to buy a new outfit: dress, jacket, shoes, handbag, the works. But another part of me is already thinking "HOW much????" And I've already bought a very nice designer skirt and top this year, not yet had an occasion to wear it, for £4 ...
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • jennystarpepper
    Options
    My husband would have moved the car, an extra walk before food and to save money, win ..win.

If you paid on the last 2 occasions, no I don't think you are tight.  

£7.00 for a pudding, for me it is quality, if it is worth it I would pay it, if someone is going to put a Cape gooseberry next to a pudding to 'fancy it up' and it is a factory made pudding I would not have it, I would apply the same reasoning who ever was paying. 

People who are careful are called tight by others ..... because they sometimes wish they had saved more and spent less on £7.00 puddings, lol. 
    MFW -  01 10 21. £63761 01.10.22 £50962 01.10.23 £39979

• Madrick
    Options
    Isn't this the "Money Saving Expert" forums area 😂

I am 100% with the OP, not a great fan of puddings, but often apply the same rationale to starters. If it's a starter that I really want then fair enough, but won't just have a £7-£8 starter, just for the sake of it, regardless of who is paying. 
  • Arthurian
    Options
    I used to park in town centre pay and display car parks until my son exclaimed "Why don't you park in the free, edge of town, car park?  It's free exercise!"  "Free exercise" is now how I persuade myself to walk more, do more household tasks, and so on.  No longer just a chore - it's free exercise, and aren't I lucky to be able to benefit!
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,270 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    With the OP entirely!  If it doesn't represent good value, don't buy it, and that applies to most areas of life.

Wine in restaurants at three times supermarket prices for the same wine - no thanks!  A glass of nice cold water does the job fine, and the wine can be enjoyed at home at a third of the price.

Same applied to eating out with the children many years back, with overpriced soft drinks.  Parking too, if there was a sensible alternative a few minutes walk away.

None of these things were life changing.  But what WAS life changing was the size of the gifts made to each child over recent years which have enabled them to buy their houses AND clear their mortgages.  Wouldn't have been possible without the earlier lifestyle decisions, solved any Inheritance Tax problems, and benefits our grandchildren too.

Missing out on a few things such as wine and car parks is nothing, compared with the pleasure of giving your children and grandchildren a fantastic start in married life!
  • DiamondLil
    Options
    I'm another who, mostly subconsciously, looks for value. Probably my most hated of pet hates is spending money on bin liners..... I can't get my head around spending hard-earned cash on something that's going directly into the bin.
  • smutput
    Options
    I also like getting value for money and would happily forgo parking fees and pudding for the same reasons if I were just out with my other half. In company I would worry about a) keeping people waiting while I find free parking b) making other people uncomfortable and spoiling their enjoyment by my value judgements.  I don't like to make an occasion all about me so would just try and graciously get on with it.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback