CTM Unused Travel COVID test

hi there

I purchased a COVID test from CTM for a return flight from Hungary, however I never went on the holiday and I'm wondering if I could send it back for a refund. I've tried calling all their helplines for info but nobody is answering. The test kit is still in sealed condition and am happy to post it back to them.

thanks

Comments

• onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 3 September 2021 at 4:37PM
    The good news is CTM are maybe the only provider that do allow you to cancel your test package if your travel plans change for a full refund ; the bad news in your case is that you need to do this before the kit is delivered and at least 24 hours prior to your planned arrival into the UK. 

From their website:
    Cancellation Policy

After the kit has been delivered, the Covid testing package is non changeable and non–refundable.

If your travel plans change and you no longer require the test kits, a refund will be provided if you cancel via this link, 24 hours prior to your planned arrival into the UK.

QUARANTINE REFUND & ADMIN REQUEST LINK

This is the only method by which a cancellation can be requested and processed.

If you book a test kit in error, we will cancel and refund in full, providing you complete the cancellation link (above) within 8 hours of making the booking

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 30,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    https://quarantinehotel.ctmportal.co.uk/Content/View.aspx?category=Terms&key=general-terms-qrt says that they're non-refundable but the link below includes a fairly wide range of scenarios under which refunds are apparently considered (countries moving between lists, etc), although these may be related to the use of the same form for both quarantine hotels and tests:

Cancellation Policy

After the kit has been delivered, the Covid testing package is non changeable and non–refundable.

If your travel plans change and you no longer require the test kits, a refund will be provided if you cancel via this link, 24 hours prior to your planned arrival into the UK.

If you book a test kit in error, we will cancel and refund in full, providing you complete the cancellation link (above) within 8 hours of making the booking

If you fail to follow the registration instructions provided with your test kit and this results in a delay in NHS T&T providing your test results, no refund will be provided.

• michael1234
    michael1234 Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 3 September 2021 at 6:08PM
    The good news is CTM are maybe the only provider that do allow you to cancel your test package if your travel plans change for a full refund ; the bad news in your case is that you need to do this before the kit is delivered and at least 24 hours prior to your planned arrival into the UK. 

From their website:
    Cancellation Policy

If I write something in the terms and conditions of my website that sells products and services which essentially bypasses the Consumre Rights and Consumer Contracts legislation is that ok?

e.g. I can write "Under no circumstances can any of our products or services be returned for any reason".

Does that make it enforceable ?

It clearly doesn't and further any terms that are buried within a legal document may have limited force - particularly if they are deemed to be deliberately buried. Customers needs to have a broad understanding of what they are purchasing without reading legal texts. That is the reason most reputable companies extract any unusual or terms that might negatively affect the consumer and place them prominently at the point of sale often with an acknowledgement checkbox.

Folk should realise the terms produced by the merchant are only one element of the contract that is formed between buyer and seller. The buyer (the consumer) is protected enormously by the Acts referred to above (as I have found out to my cost on more than one occasion)
  • onashoestring
    onashoestring Posts: 1,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 3 September 2021 at 7:02PM
    These T&C’s are not buried - they are clearly available on the website .

Test kits are not suitable for return due to health protection or hygiene reasons, as per Article 28(3)(a) of the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 (“2013 Regs”)

Completely legal that once test kits are delivered they can’t be returned, but also seems fair that CTM offer a refund if your travel plans change. You just need to cancel your order within the time frame , which is cancel before the kit is delivered. 

• These T&C’s are not buried - they are clearly available on the website .

Test kits are not suitable for return due to health protection or hygiene reasons, as per Article 28(3)(a) of the Consumer Contracts (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013 (“2013 Regs”)

Completely legal that once test kits are delivered they can’t be returned, but also seems fair that CTM offer a refund if your travel plans change. You just need to cancel your order within the time frame , which is cancel before the kit is delivered. 

Yes we know what that part of the act says and anyone can Google it. Whether it is relevant in this case in which a small part of the cost is product (which is normally sealed) and the majority of the cost is service would be up to a judge if it ever gets tested. The fact that the merchant is happy to accept it under certain circumstances but not others probably doesn't help the merchant's case that these are personal items that may be soiled and thus can't be returned due to the part of the Act that you site. They are either non-returnable or they are not.

My point remains that folk should not overly focus on the terms and conditions produced by the merchant. Consumers have a huge amount of legal rights and most merchant will find as I did, that when tested in court the presumption will lie in favour of the consumer. Not always of course, but most times. In particular, not accepting a return within a few days of purchase is likely to be a red flag.

Feel free to have the last word on this. I shan't comment any more to keep it friendly. I guess I've made my point 8-)

• Thanks all. Unfortunately it was delivered 2 weeks ago and the holiday was the following day. So I guess I'm out of luck.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback