Thoughts on this poor hotel booking practice?

Options
2»

Comments

• GS..
    GS.. Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 September 2021 at 6:29AM
    Options
    No, that's because people usually opt to cancel, with absolutely zero commitment to the hotel, and don't pay anything for a room, up front, which is the whooooole point I'm making, which you haven't considered, in your whooooole reply At All

TBagpuss said:
    Hotels don't normally reserve a specific room for you....Yadda Yadda Yadda.......

{Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • GS..
    edited 2 September 2021 at 6:27AM
    Options
    Because my booking says "Room, WITH A VIEW OF THE COURTYARD" 

sheramber said:
    How do you know you have booked a room with a view. Unless you paid extras for a  'view'.

{Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • GS..
    Options
    No, that's because people usually choose an option to cancel, with absolutely zero commitment to the hotel, and don't pay anything for a room, up front, which is the whooooole point I'm making, which you haven't considered, in your
     whooooole reply At All. Hence I've removed it as irrelevant. Yaaaaaaawn
    jimbo6977 said:
    For 99% of bookings, hotels do not allocate a specific room ...... 

• GS..
    Options
    I've booked through third parties and directly with a hotel and in allllllll cases they refuse to book a specific room, and if you can get a hotel to book a specific room by any method under the sun, call me and I'll pay for it, because they simply will not, under any circumstance, because they reserve the right to mug you off, unless of course your going next week
    photome said:
    GS.. said:
    Well I always come across it and haven't booked a room for over two years, but I always pay up front. Next time you pay up front for a room just ask them for your room number, if you get one I'll pay for your room ok, you won't get a room number because they won't book your room even if you pay for it
    It has already been asked but not answered I believe ..are you booking direct or through a 3rd party

I emailed a hotel last week that we have previously stayed at and asked about a specific room , they said it wouldnt be a problem if I booked direct but they couldnt gtee it if I booked through a 3rd party

• jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    GS.. said:
    No, that's because people usually choose an option to cancel, with absolutely zero commitment to the hotel, and don't pay anything for a room, up front, which is the whooooole point I'm making, which you haven't considered, in your
     whooooole reply At All. Hence I've removed it as irrelevant. Yaaaaaaawn
    jimbo6977 said:
    For 99% of bookings, hotels do not allocate a specific room ...... 

Hi, 

I work in the hotel industry. My employer, a hotelier, does not take bookings without a deposit being paid, and does not offer free cancellation. 

Rooms in my employer's hotels are allocated approx 10 days prior to arrival, earlier if they're less busy, later if they're very busy. 

Some of my employer's hotels have "view" rooms. These are sold as stock items, eg Hotel X has 10 Double View rooms, so if you book a Double View room at Hotel X, you will get one (total disaster not withstanding), but you won't know which one until you arrive.

This is how it works. You can choose not to like it or not to believe it, but it will nonetheless remain true. 

Regards

J.

• jimbo6977
    jimbo6977 Posts: 1,232 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Also, rule number one on hotel reception - if a customer rings to ask which room number they've been allocated, NEVER tell them! It can change right up to the last minute. 
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Not sure what your point is?

The only hotel operator I've come across that lets you choose a room is Hilton, I checked in on the app and could choose on a little map.

All other hotels allocate a room of the type you booked a few days before you arrive.
    So if the hotel has sea view, garden view or standard view, you should get the type you booked, but you don't know which exact rooms. Some hotels have even more categories, so you could book a sea view high floor room.

No hotel will "turf you out" of your room with a view, if you booked sea view, you should get that or better. If they only have 20 sea view rooms they will only take 19 or 20 bookings for that room type. Of course if you book standard view, you might get upgraded to sea view, but it won't be guaranteed.
    Only if there is extreme circumstances, such as the hotel being fully booked and a major water leak rendering some rooms unusable then you might not get the category you booked, but they will usually refund the extra paid and compensate with free drinks or dinner or similar.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback