IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

DCBL / UK Parking Control

Options

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    That is a non point.  Don’t follow that up, people keep saying this and we keep saying ‘forget that’. 

By parking you agreed, if the signs were prominent.  
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Jcosh
    Jcosh Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That is a non point.  Don’t follow that up, people keep saying this and we keep saying ‘forget that’. 

By parking you agreed, if the signs were prominent.  
    OK. In which case I have no defence what so ever. 

Man drives into car park that he has used for over 15 years, whilst completely unaware of the parking signs (never noticed them in all this time). Parks car and overlaps a parking bay, gets ticket. Ignores requested for payment, goes to court, has to pay up. 

On that basis I may as well try and settle out of court for a lesser amount and avoid the hassle, or am I missing something here?
  • Umkomaas
    Umkomaas Posts: 41,511 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 28 August 2021 at 11:13AM
    Options
    On that basis I may as well try and settle out of court for a lesser amount and avoid the hassle, or am I missing something here?
    Yes, what @Coupon-mad said:

Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Private Parking Firms - Killing the High Street
  • ignavia
    ignavia Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    UKPC's position is
    "Driver drives into car park, sees clear and obvious signs, reads signs and all small print in 10 seconds, understands and agrees, then deliberately parks so as to incur a charge."

If any of that is not what happened, then that is your defence.

The sign you have shown states "No Unauthorised Parking", and does not indicate how to obtain authorisation. UKPC v Masterson B6QZ4H3R 2016 may be relevant.
  • Jcosh
    Jcosh Posts: 21 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ignavia said:
    UKPC's position is
    "Driver drives into car park, sees clear and obvious signs, reads signs and all small print in 10 seconds, understands and agrees, then deliberately parks so as to incur a charge."

The sign you have shown states "No Unauthorised Parking", and does not indicate how to obtain authorisation. UKPC v Masterson B6QZ4H3R 2016 may be relevant.
    Yes, that is what happened. Although I never read any signs, but that's besides the point I guess. 

Read the UKPC v Masterson B6QZ4H3R 2016 case - who won the claimant or the defendant? Wasn't clear to me. 
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    Jcosh said:
    ignavia said:
    UKPC's position is

Yes, that is what happened. Although I never read any signs, but that's besides the point I guess. 

Read the UKPC v Masterson B6QZ4H3R 2016 case - who won the claimant or the defendant? Wasn't clear to me. 
    No contractual licence to park between UKPC and Mr Masterton - no contract to offer, therefore Mr M was offered nothing - 'offer' is one of the three essential elements of a contract.  At best, this was trespass, and pursuing that was down to the landowner, not the parking firm. 

8. So for those reasons, I am unable to accept that the particular circumstances of this case reveal a contractual licence to park with a contract between the parking manager, in this case UKPC, in the Supreme Court authority ParkingEye, and the vehicle owner or driver, in this case the defendant, and in the Supreme Court authority, Mr Beavis.

Please note, we are not a legal advice forum. I personally don't get involved in critiquing court case Defences/Witness Statements, so unable to help on that front. Please don't ask. .

I provide only my personal opinion, it is not a legal opinion, it is simply a personal one. I am not a lawyer.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 132,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    sounds like the signs were not clear and prominent. That is a defence.  Also how far were you overlapping a line because there is a defence of de minimis.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    sounds like the signs were not clear and prominent. That is a defence.

Indeed, have you read this?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5972164/parking-eye-signs-oxford-road-reading/p1
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • Umkomaas
    Options
    D_P_Dance said:
    sounds like the signs were not clear and prominent. That is a defence.

Indeed, have you read this?

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5972164/parking-eye-signs-oxford-road-reading/p1
    I'm not sure what this has to do with the price of fish. Apart from the predictable ranty posts, there's nothing conclusive - no court case or judgment, not even at DDJ level, and it's about ParkingEye, not UKPC. 

Can you elucidate?

• D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    It is background infornmation.  The OP may or may not find it useful.  I certainly would if I was a newbie.
    You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback