EasyJet refund missing

Options
Hello, 

I purchased an EasyJet flight on a credit card in September 2019. Due to the pandemic EasyJet offered me a refund this year, however said they could only refund to the original method of payment. Despite me saying I no longer had the card or knew what financial institution it was connected to - they said they had to follow this process.

The refund was processed on the 12th July - they provided me with ARN numbers - but I have no idea where the money has gone. All I know is that it was a Mastercard as that shows on the email confirmation. I contacted Mastercard and they said if I could provide them with the 16 digit card number I could track down the card, however EasyJet cannot provide me with that for data protection reasons.

I assume the money will be rejected /reversed back to EasyJet but figured that would of happened by now. What happens if it's not reversed? Anyone know of anyway I can track this money down?

Thanks,
Lynn

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,545 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    can you check your card statements to locate the transaction? How many Mastercards did you have? - could you contact the banks/institutions that you them through?
  • starmix
    Options
    Unfortunately I don't know what institution or bank the credit card was connected to - so am unable to check any statements or contact them. I usually only have one credit card at any one time, and will transfer the balance when the 0% interest period runs out which is what I would of done with this one.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think you are going to have to make some effort to help yourself if you want to see this refund.

Hunt for old statements, old emails or just sit down and reflex on who issued the credit card that you had been using. Only you can help yourself here.
  • mattyprice4004
    Options
    It won't be reversed - the institution will hold it in an account designated for situations like this but won't return the funds to Easyjet. 
    Unfortunately this is very much a 'you' problem if you can't find who it was paid with - I can't see any method of tracing the payment back without the full 16 digit number, which Easyjet won't see (I use an online payment platform and can only ever see the last 4 digits of any customer's credit card number). 

With constantly chopping and changing credit cards (like I do) you really need to use some kind of system to track which you were using and when - otherwise this can happen. 
    I have a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that I fill in with which card I used for a certain period - if you've not bothered to keep any kind of track, I can't see how you'll be able to locate the refund. 
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Surely you must have something that would indicate what card you at the time? Have you checked old emails for credit card applications or payment reminders? Old bank statements to see where payments were made to?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback