Lets talk kitchens ...

Options

Comments

• Monsternextdoor
    Options
    @Emmia @Rosa_Damascena

There is no backboards, kickboards, cupboards hanging off, blackspot mould, reeks of smoke etc, Sink unit is rotten and completely goosed, I will have to take out cupboards for dishwasher and washing machine or they will completely block the fire exits. 

In theory I could live with it but with having 2 kids one with ASD I am more than a little funny over where I prepare food etc.
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 6 August 2021 at 1:12PM
    Options
    @Emmia @Rosa_Damascena

There is no backboards, kickboards, cupboards hanging off, blackspot mould, reeks of smoke etc, Sink unit is rotten and completely goosed, I will have to take out cupboards for dishwasher and washing machine or they will completely block the fire exits. 

In theory I could live with it but with having 2 kids one with ASD I am more than a little funny over where I prepare food etc.
    Mould can be bleached, smoke can be treated to make the smell go away... you can paint the walls. A kickboard is basically just a plank of wood, and you can get that cut to size and delivered. 

You can remove cupboards or swap round bad ones for good ones as long as the sizes work.

Alternatively just get the kitchen replaced ahead of other expenditure, but accept doing it in a rush means you may not get the kitchen of your dreams.
  • Monsternextdoor
    Options
    @Emmia

Currently looking at quotes for double glazing and working out if I can shave some cash off other areas, probably won't help that the whole house needs gutting.

We bought the house as its got a huge garden and loads of potential, but years of living in MOD housing has me spoilt with house conditions.
  • Emmia
    Options
    @Emmia

Currently looking at quotes for double glazing and working out if I can shave some cash off other areas, probably won't help that the whole house needs gutting.

We bought the house as its got a huge garden and loads of potential, but years of living in MOD housing has me spoilt with house conditions.
    What you're facing are straight trade offs. You can have a kitchen but will need to live with ropey windows for a bit... or you can have the windows but will have to live with a scrubbed up kitchen for a bit. 

You might be lucky and will be able to find kitchen units on gumtree / free cycle that you could install as a stop gap, with an inexpensive counter top.
  • Monsternextdoor
    Options
    Emmia said:
    @Emmia

What you're facing are straight trade offs. You can have a kitchen but will need to live with ropey windows for a bit... or you can have the windows but will have to live with a scrubbed up kitchen for a bit. 

You might be lucky and will be able to find kitchen units on gumtree / free cycle that you could install as a stop gap, with an inexpensive counter top.
    Pretty much ! 

The windows have to be done, that is top of my list and the rest needs to be done as and when, Now to sell my soul on ebay to add to my house reno pot !! 
  • Emmia
    edited 6 August 2021 at 1:27PM
    Options
    Emmia said:
    @Emmia

Pretty much ! 

The windows have to be done, that is top of my list and the rest needs to be done as and when, Now to sell my soul on ebay to add to my house reno pot !! 
    Have you thought about getting a commercial / end of tenancy type cleaning company round to scrub/fumigate the kitchen to within an inch of it's life? It might be less depressing if it's one less job on the list.
  • Monsternextdoor
    Options
    Emmia said:
    Emmia said:
    @Emmia

Pretty much ! 

Have you thought about getting a commercial / end of tenancy type cleaning company round to scrub/fumigate the kitchen to within an inch of it's life? It might be less depressing if it's one less job on the list.
    The whole house needs all the previous residents furniture removing (repo) so we are waiting to get the keys so I can get it scrubbed, dumped and start the works. At present there is no gas, water or electricity to the property.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,631 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Monsternextdoor said: The windows have to be done, that is top of my list and the rest needs to be done as and when, Now to sell my soul on ebay to add to my house reno pot !! 
    Souls aren't fetching a good price at the moment, neither are body parts. Rather a glut on the supply side with little real demand. You may find some half decent units on ebay/facebook/gumtree, but most will be assembled and require collection. Not an easy task unless you have a large van available.
    Depending on the size of the kitchen, bunging in some cheap units from the internet and a budget worktop would serve you for a year or two. Once you have an idea how the space works for you, you can then plan a kitchen around what you actually need.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 1,008 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 6 August 2021 at 3:01PM
    Options
    Sitting here, looking out the window, where it is absolutely-hissing-down-autumn weather I would agree to get the windows done before the real autumn comes. 

Could you remove all the kitchen units, except for the sink (I know it's yucky) and buy some Ikea free-standing ones?  You could move them around so you can decide the best layout for when you do the kitchen and the units could be used later in a garage or shed or sold.
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,283 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Sitting here, looking out the window, where it is absolutely-hissing-down-autumn weather I would agree to get the windows done before the real autumn comes. 

Could you remove all the kitchen units, except for the sink (I know it's yucky) and buy some Ikea free-standing ones?  You could move them around so you can decide the best layout for when you do the kitchen and the units could be used later in a garage or shed or sold.
    I'd never thought I'd be giving Ikea kitchens the thumbs up but on this occasion I'll make the exception.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport