New gas boiler or heat pump

StinkiPinki
StinkiPinki Posts: 14 Forumite
First Post
Hi,
my head is absolutely fried trying to work out which heating system is best. I’m moving a bathroom and I need the extra space so I decided to install gas. Now I’ve been told gas is being phased out for renewable energy. So would it be a better idea to get a heating pump installed? I don’t want to get a gas boiler to be told that the whole system will need to be replaced. I know we are talking way down the line, but I want to get as much right from the off. The gas boiler will also provide extra power to get water to a newly installed upstairs bathroom.
cost of new boiler and fitting £3300

anyone out there know what they’re talking about and can simplify?

thanks a million 

Comments

• Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Gas any day, it's a no brainer. Enjoy cheaper heating for the life of your boiler and worry about alternative forms of heating down the line
  • Reed_Richards
    Reed_Richards Posts: 4,165 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you get a heat pump at some time in the future you will want to run your radiators with a flow temperature of 50 C or less.  So if you are starting from scratch including the radiators you can future-proof your system by designing it to run with a lower water flow temperature than is usual for gas central heating.  For the moment gas is significantly cheaper in running cost than a heat pump and the cost of a heat pump is much larger than the cost of a gas boiler.  But I would not be surprised if the government starts "levelling up" by imposing extra charges on gas that raise its price.  
    Reed
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    I would agree that it is a no-brainer at the moment to have a gas boiler fitted. There will be a huge difference in the price to install a heat pump - it seems £15,000 is a ballpark figure -  even though you can get a good proportion of the capital cost paid back over several years under the Renewable Heat Initiative(RHI)

On top of the additional capital cost, gas CH is considerably cheaper to run than an ASHP.

I would also agree that the Government will probably start to move toward 'levelling up' running costs by making gas more expensive.
    However for the next 10-15 years your gas boiler will be the best option,

I also think the Government will have to introduce a scheme to heavily subsidise heat pumps as many people simply will not be able to afford the up-front costs of installing a heat pump.
  • Reed_Richards
    Cardew said:
    I would agree that it is a no-brainer at the moment to have a gas boiler fitted. There will be a huge difference in the price to install a heat pump - it seems £15,000 is a ballpark figure -  even though you can get a good proportion of the capital cost paid back over several years under the Renewable Heat Initiative(RHI)...

Heat pumps are more expensive than boilers; hopefully the price will come down as the demand increases.  But one reason that installation is often so expensive is that you don't just need a heat pump.  You will need a new hot water cylinder, even if you have one already, because heat pumps need an internal coil with a larger surface area.  And if you have radiators you will need new ones with a larger effective surface area so that they can operate at a lower water temperature.
    Reed
  • Cardew said:

I also think the Government will have to introduce a scheme to heavily subsidise heat pumps as many people simply will not be able to afford the up-front costs of installing a heat pump.
    There are reports in the Press today that the Government has taken fright at the cost of Net Zero and that it is delaying the ban on selling gas boilers by 5 years through until 2040.
  • brewerdave
    brewerdave Posts: 8,507 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 October 2023 at 5:54PM
    Cardew said:

There are reports in the Press today that the Government has taken fright at the cost of Net Zero and that it is delaying the ban on selling gas boilers by 5 years through until 2040.
    About time some of the airheads in Government actually looked at the detail and the financial implications ! 
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,221 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Cardew said:

May also be linked to the Chinese funded nuclear stations they were going to build until everyone got Chinese 5G tech fright, rumour is China is taking their nuclear money ball back which leaves us a couple of N power stations short just as we pull the gas out and ban sale of internal combustion vehicles
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Reed_Richards
    [Deleted User] said:
    It may be cynical of me but I think that the longer it takes to ban the sale of gas boilers, the more likely it is that government will try to put people off by imposing charges that raise the price of gas.
    Reed
  • SPOWER
    SPOWER Posts: 283 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    The gas board is installing gas central heating boilers.  Enough said.
  • SPOWER said:
    The gas board is installing gas central heating boilers.  Enough said.
    There is no longer a ‘gas board’. All gas suppliers are now private companies.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback