MSE News: Tesco Bank to close ALL existing current accounts - what it means for customers

Options

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is no switch for overdrafts. Each bank will determine themselves whether and what size overdraft they offer you. You have to apply at your new bank, and you may or may not get the same arrangement you had at Tesco.

That said, overdrafts are one of the most expensive way of borrowing, and you are almost certainly better advised to look at alternatives such as a loan if you require extra funds.
  • Parcelator
    Parcelator Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd also recommend Starling unless your keen to get a switching bonus (Starling don't offer these). Also not great if you need/like going into branches or withdrawing lots of cash from ATMs.
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Advice please!
    Tesco bank have refused to switch my current account to my new bank due to High Demand!

Surely this is against the rules on bank switching?
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    curl_girl said:
    Advice please!
    Tesco bank have refused to switch my current account to my new bank due to High Demand!

Sounds like grounds for a complaint to me.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,237 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They probably don't have enough money available on demand.   

Remember the  queues at Northern Rock?

They will need to realise their investments to pay out everybody. They probably didn't  expect a rush as the accounts don't close until November.
  • bowlesbargain
    Options
    curl_girl said:
    Advice please!

They have just done the same to me trying to switch from Tesco to Virgin. Refused the switch on the same grounds
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    sheramber said:

They will need to realise their investments to pay out everybody. They probably didn't  expect a rush as the accounts don't close until November.
    Had it not been for the reputational damage, I would guess they'd simply forgo the CASS process and give 60 days notice of closure as many of the accounts will have zero /low balances.   

So unlikely to be a money issue - much more likely an infrastructure issue as they aren't a full clearing bank.
  • WillPS
    WillPS Posts: 3,504 Forumite
    Newshound! First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    sheramber said:

Tosh.

How much money do you think is withdrawn via CASS every day, even in their closure state, compared to withdrawals, DDs, transfers and use of debit card - none of which have been stopped.
  • curl_girl
    curl_girl Posts: 4,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    curl_girl said:
    Advice please!

They have just done the same to me trying to switch from Tesco to Virgin. Refused the switch on the same grounds
    Have Virgin responded yet?
    I thought a switch was automatic once you had instructed your new bank to switch for you.

Absolutely disgusting behaviour from Tesco Bank. I do hope Martin Lewis knows about this problem and can advise us please?

curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboard!!!
  • Chloe_G
    Chloe_G Posts: 320 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    How did you get informed that they have refused to switch?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback