Getting people who owe me money to help pay my debts

in Benefits & Tax Credits
17 replies 988 views
Hi
I am on Universal Credit, and have done some work for a project. They are asking me to invoice them, about £1000.  I also owe my solicitor quite a bit of money.
Is it legal/wrong to ask the people to send said £1000 to my solicitor directly? If it goes to my bank I will lost t least half of it because the Universal Credit will count it as income.
I don't want to do anything illegal/wrong, or get anyone else in trouble for doing the same. So that's why I'm asking. 
Hope I haven't broken any forum rules here.... not trying to, just want to ask a question.

Replies

• fuzexifuzexi Forumite
    18 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Yeah you're probably right... 
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    25K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Avoiding declaring income is fraud, as simple as that.
  • poppy12345poppy12345 Forumite
    13K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any earnings you receive must be reported onto your journal along with any expenses. Failing to do this is benefit fraud. Those that commit it will eventually be found out.
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no 'probably right' about it.  Failing to report income to UC is benefit fraud.
  • fuzexifuzexi Forumite
    18 Posts
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    Yeah, that's why I was asking. I don't want to get on the wrong side of the law. One other question: if I borrow money from my parents to pay my solicitor, is that income too? 
  • oh_reallyoh_really Forumite
    674 Posts
    500 Posts First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    fuzexi said:
    One other question: if I borrow money from my parents to pay my solicitor, is that income too? 

Why dont you have your parents settle the bill directly?
  • Spoonie_TurtleSpoonie_Turtle Forumite
    2.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    fuzexi said:
    Yeah, that's why I was asking. I don't want to get on the wrong side of the law. One other question: if I borrow money from my parents to pay my solicitor, is that income too? 
    No, although if you still had the money at the end of your assessment period it would count as capital (but they don't care unless you have £6,000 or more in total).
  • Dale72Dale72 Forumite
    99 Posts
    10 Posts Name Dropper
    I think the best people to ask would be the advisors at the benefits office, not some randoms on a web site. Who knows, you may find that if the money isnt paid directly to you, then you may not have a reduction in your UC payment, it is supposed to give you a minimal amount to live on, so if you never had the £1000 then just maybe...