PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Your dream property - where would you buy?

Every time I go on a road trip or holiday I invariably find an area or two where I'm like, ooh, this is nice, maybe I could live here! No intention of actually moving - I do actually quite enjoy where I live but I find the speculation quite a fun pastime.

So I'm curious, if you won the lottery.. and had, let's say, £1m to spend... (so we can ignore those insane 300-acre stately home type properties, because they're silly) where would you buy? What parts of this country do you love and if jobs/money were no object would move to like a shot? Would you go for an amazing location in a city you love, or go as remote as possible with space and views? Would you go for contemporary or character? Would you go for a decent place in your dream location or move somewhere a bit less ideal for an amazing house?

I'm curious to see how people's opinions differ - and maybe some ideas for hidden gem locations I can find an excuse to visit on a future roadtrip!  :)

Comments

• greensalad
    greensalad Posts: 2,530 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 20 July 2021 at 11:30AM
    Well I am moving to my "dream" location, as we're relocating to one of our favourite areas. However if I could buy any house it'd probably be something like this: https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108459422#/?channel=RES_BUY

And then I'd use the leftover cash to refit it and make it a complete dream home exactly to my taste!

• Greymug
    Greymug Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    4 bedroom cottage on the seaside with views and some land, in the Scottish Highlands. Somewhere close enough to civilisation and in a village small enough not to attract any tourists.

I wouldn't even need the whole million. I say half a million would be enough; I could invest the rest in a couple of rental properties.
  • RelievedSheff
    RelievedSheff Posts: 11,299 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 20 July 2021 at 11:35AM
    The Norfolk Broads.

We just love it there and would love a waterside property with it's own mooring and and plenty of parking/space for a decent garage.

Something like this. This one is a holiday let currently but could make a great home for us with a bit of work.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108935264#/?channel=RES_BUY

We would want to be in a larger village with plenty of local amenities and in the hustle and bustle of the summer holiday season but where it was quieter come winter time.
  • Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    The Norfolk Broads.

We just love it there and would love a waterside property with it's own mooring and and plenty of parking/space for a decent garage.

Something like this. This one is a holiday let currently but could make a great home for us with a bit of work.

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/108935264#/?channel=RES_BUY

We would want to be in a larger village with plenty of local amenities and in the hustle and bustle of the summer holiday season but where it was quieter come winter time.

That is lovely!
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,636 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 July 2021 at 11:45AM
    We are late 60s, so we have to be practical about our future health needs.  So, nothing too far from a decent hospital.

We may love an area we visited in the summer, but what’s it like in the winter?  Are the people welcoming to outsiders?

And that eight bedroom rectory! You’ll need a management team to keep it in order.  Plus, you can’t tell this from the photos, but the local farmer has just covered his fields with pig faeces.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • seradane
    seradane Posts: 306 Forumite
    GDB2222 said:
    We are late 60s, so we have to be practical about our future health needs.  So, nothing too far from a decent hospital.

We may love an area we visited in the summer, but what’s it like in the winter?  Are the people welcoming to outsiders?

And that eight bedroom rectory! You’ll need a management team to keep it in order.  Plus, you can’t tell this from the photos, but the local farmer has just covered his fields with pig faeces.
    But that's the fun of this sort of discussion - how different everyone's "dream" spots are... and what one person loves the next couldn't bear!  :D And another advantage of dreams is you don't have to have all the practicalities worked out either!

And I'm sure you've got a few more wishes than just near a decent hospital... go on, what else would you want?
  • daveyjp
    daveyjp Posts: 12,513 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    It wouldn't be one area.

Easter to end October Scottish west coast. November to Easter Cardiff, which is a small city but benefits from being a capital.
  • seradane
    seradane Posts: 306 Forumite
    daveyjp said:
    It wouldn't be one area.

Easter to end October Scottish west coast. November to Easter Cardiff, which is a small city but benefits from being a capital.
    I've often thought the best season in the city is the winter and the countryside is the summer, so two places to take advantage of this would be the best of both worlds.
  • Probably the North Pole or similar . Somewhere to see lots of animals and less people 🦈🐠🐻
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback