Replacement for Ringo phone app?

Options
Sadly Ringo packed up in March, it was a very easy and free way to call Spanish landline phones.

Other than Skype to Skype and other similar “mobile to mobile” apps, which is currently the best value for calling Spain from a mobile, ideally for free?

Thanks

Comments

• jnm21
    jnm21 Posts: 853 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello there!  MSE used to have a checker for this.  I have used the tesco calling app - £1 free credit on sign up.

Also Lebara have some very competitive mobile offers, most with 100 (some with 50, 500 or unlimited) minutes to 40+ countries, which I believe includes Spain.  For instance 8GB of data, unlimited UK calls/texts & 100 international minutes per month for £3.99 for 6 months via MSE.  If you know someone on Lebara, they can get you 50% off the standard tariffs for 3 months.  May be 6GB + 500 for £10 (£5 for 3 months) & 15GB + unlimited for £15 (not sure if this is a bonus tariff - may not be able to get 3 month half price - if not unlimited data & mins for £30 can be had at 50% off for 3 months).

Hope you are well.
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    The Tesco app looks useful and is 1p per min to Spain plus a 4p connection charge.

One landline international call company that I have used in the past was 1899.com, they used to have free (as in totally free) calls to USA and Norway. A friend worked on a Norwegian cruise ship and they had a land line number that connected to the ship for free.

Ringo had totally free calls to Spanish land lines. They no longer exist…

I guess companies occasionally offer free “loss leaders” to get potential customers discussing them, just like we are. Unfortunately the best rate to Spain looks like 1p per min with nobody offering free calls.

• jnm21
    Options
    I have used freevoipdeal before - they give a number of days free to super locations with each topup.

Yes, Spain is a super location.  Interestingly UK is considered an EU location (for some reason you must have an 'EU' caller ID).
    Certain OTT members have caused me to add this disclaimer: all advice given is free of charge & as such should be taken to be IIRC (as I don't spend hours researching all answers :eek: )!
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Put Yolla international calling app on your phone Spain landline is .05 min, no connection charge
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    Put Yolla international calling app on your phone Spain landline is .05 min, no connection charge
    I’ve just looked on their web page, it shows $0.135 per min in US dollars. I haven’t downloaded the app to see if that differs. Also, does the credit need a regular top up, or just to make a call occasionally to keep the account active?
  • Frozen_up_north
    Options
    jnm21 said:
    I have used freevoipdeal before - they give a number of days free to super locations with each topup.

Yes, Spain is a super location.  Interestingly UK is considered an EU location (for some reason you must have an 'EU' caller ID).
    Just tried it, via an internet connection, with no topup credit. It works!
    Hope there are no hidden surprises, but so far so good.
    Many thanks
  • ballyblack
    ballyblack Posts: 5,068 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I’ve just looked on their web page, it shows $0.135 per min in US dollars. I haven’t downloaded the app to see if that differs. Also, does the credit need a regular top up, or just to make a call occasionally to keep the account active?
    on the app its .07 dollar £.05 . No regular top up, I have been using it since Ringo went
    531063 Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Viber out any good ?
  • Frozen_up_north
    Frozen_up_north Posts: 2,420 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    531063 said:
    Viber out any good ?
    Viber is no different to using Skype out and is a similar cost.

Currently I am using freevoipdeal via the MobileVOIP app. The rate to Spanish land lines is free at the moment. While I have a good data rate, MobileVOIP includes the ability to call via a London number, avoiding problems with a poor local data rate on VOIP if making a call away from home. Like many others, I have free UK calls.

All the “companies” that MobileVOIP list as options, appear to be Dellmont B.V. companies. Still so far so good.
  • jnm21
    edited 22 July 2021 at 8:15AM
    Options
    I use the local access number - called my uncle's Australian mobile from his mother's graveside at the weekend.

PS I have it saved as a contact in my Huawei phone in this format:

[access number],[uncle's number]#

One tap & a few seconds later connected.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback