PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Coming Off Tenancy But My Deposit

Options
Hi , I'm looking for some advice regarding my deposit when I come off the tenancy. 
Me and my partner have recently split up, she is going to stay in the property with our 3 children, for her to receive the full amount of housing benefit/universal credit, I'm not sure what it comes under, I would need to remove myself from the tenancy. I have no problem doing this but I put the deposit down on the property and she is not willing to pay it back to me herself.
What are my options? 
I obviously wouldn't want to make my ex and kids homeless should I say to the agent I want my deposit back.
Thanks 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    edited 1 July 2021 at 12:13AM
    Options
    Hi , I'm looking for some advice regarding my deposit when I come off the tenancy. 
    Me and my partner have recently split up, she is going to stay in the property with our 3 children, for her to receive the full amount of housing benefit/universal credit, I'm not sure what it comes under, I would need to remove myself from the tenancy. I have no problem doing this but I put the deposit down on the property and she is not willing to pay it back to me herself.
    What are my options? 
    I obviously wouldn't want to make my ex and kids homeless should I say to the agent I want my deposit back.
    Thanks 
    When the joint tenancy is ended the landlord should return the deposit minus any allowable deductions to the lead tenant. Your ex should sign a new tenancy solely in her name. Will your ex meet the affordability for renting the flat  on her own? 

How and when the joint tenancy can be ended will depend on whether you’re in a fixed term or periodic tenancy. If you’re still a fixed term contract you might need to look at a deed of variance to put the tenancy solely in your ex’s name. The landlord may or may not agree to this. 
  • Dominic1234
    Dominic1234 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi Lover or Lycra, thanks for your reply. She seems to think with the universal credit, child benefit, my child support payments that she can. That is up to her if she can or not. Once I’m not on the tenancy it will not be my responsibility financially anymore, of course for my kids I wouldn’t want them homeless. 
    We moved in to the property in January 21, but had a break clause entered into the contract which has passed so am right in thinking there will be no consequences for ending now? 
    Thanks 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 3,297 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Hi Lover or Lycra, thanks for your reply. She seems to think with the universal credit, child benefit, my child support payments that she can. That is up to her if she can or not. Once I’m not on the tenancy it will not be my responsibility financially anymore, of course for my kids I wouldn’t want them homeless. 
    We moved in to the property in January 21, but had a break clause entered into the contract which has passed so am right in thinking there will be no consequences for ending now? 
    Thanks 
    Actually, it's up to the landlord to decide if she meets affordability on her own.  I don't know the terms of the break clause so I don't know if there will not be any consequences for ending the tenancy now. Many break clauses are very badly drafted.

If you serve notice to end the tenancy and the landlord does not offer her a new tenancy agreement on her own then you will both have to vacate the property.  You may not think this is your problem but it will be if she doesn't move out because legally the landlord would be entitled to charge you both double rent under the Distress for Rent Act 1737.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback