PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Asking Estate Agents About Leasehold Terms

Options
We are in the process of putting our first house on the market and so we are trying to arrange viewings for properties we are interested in to purchase.  We bought our first house as a new build off-plan, so we’ve not had much exposure to estate agents in the past.

I saw a property I liked the look of on Rightmove, but it’s listed as leasehold.  I gather that some leaseholds are better than others (999 year term vs. 75 years, for example), so I’m not entirely put off a leasehold property if the property itself ticks lots of our boxes.

I asked the estate agent selling the property some questions related to the length of the leasehold, whether charges were fixed etc., but they were unable to disclose anything as apparently ‘it will all be found out in the legal process’… This took me by surprise, as I had presumed these were the sorts of things prospective buyers would ask at the first opportunity before wasting the estate agent’s time in arranging a viewing with us, let alone before incurring legal costs if we were to make an offer?

Is this standard practice, or have I just had an unlucky encounter with an unhelpful estate agent?

Thanks

Comments

• GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,670 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They don't always know, so I am afraid that you were being fobbed off. Lease term is a perfectly reasonable question, by the way. 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • kingstreet
    kingstreet Posts: 38,767 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 30 June 2021 at 12:47PM
    Options
    Until the vendor appoints a solicitor who obtains these documents the agent is unlikely to have been told the fine detail unless the vendor just happened to know and until the EA has it in writing they will be unwilling to provide potentially unreliable data.
    I am a mortgage broker. You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice. Please do not send PMs asking for one-to-one-advice, or representation.
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options

I asked the estate agent selling the property some questions related to the length of the leasehold, whether charges were fixed etc., but they were unable to disclose anything as apparently ‘it will all be found out in the legal process’… This took me by surprise, as I had presumed these were the sorts of things prospective buyers would ask at the first opportunity before wasting the estate agent’s time in arranging a viewing with us, let alone before incurring legal costs if we were to make an offer?

You're right to be surprised.

Most estate agents are members of the Property Ombudsman Scheme. The Ombudsman's mandatory code of practice for estate agents says they must provide this type of info:

In regard to leasehold properties, in accordance with paragraph 4e, you must provide material information to the consumer so they can make an informed transactional decision. Material information in respect of the lease includes, but is not limited to, the following:

• Number of years remaining on the lease;
    • Amount of ground rent (*) and when payable, together with details of how this will increase over time, if applicable;
    • Rent payable in the case of a shared ownership arrangement;

For leasehold, commonhold and freehold properties where the owner has a legal obligation to contribute towards the maintenance costs of a shared amenity, material information would include, but is not limited to the following:
    • Amount of service charge (*), and when payable;
    • Amount of any event fees (*), and when payable;
    • Amount of reserve fund (*) contribution and when payable (if not already included in other charges);

Link: https://www.tpos.co.uk/images/Codes_2019_a5/TPOE27-8_Code_of_Practice_for_Residential_Estate_Agents_A5_-_Effective_1_June_2019.pdf

• Tiglet2
    Tiglet2 Posts: 2,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    eddddy said:

You're right to be surprised.

Most estate agents are members of the Property Ombudsman Scheme. The Ombudsman's mandatory code of practice for estate agents says they must provide this type of info:

In regard to leasehold properties, in accordance with paragraph 4e, you must provide material information to the consumer so they can make an informed transactional decision. Material information in respect of the lease includes, but is not limited to, the following:

• Number of years remaining on the lease;
    • Amount of ground rent (*) and when payable, together with details of how this will increase over time, if applicable;
    • Rent payable in the case of a shared ownership arrangement;

For leasehold, commonhold and freehold properties where the owner has a legal obligation to contribute towards the maintenance costs of a shared amenity, material information would include, but is not limited to the following:
    • Amount of service charge (*), and when payable;
    • Amount of any event fees (*), and when payable;
    • Amount of reserve fund (*) contribution and when payable (if not already included in other charges);

Link: https://www.tpos.co.uk/images/Codes_2019_a5/TPOE27-8_Code_of_Practice_for_Residential_Estate_Agents_A5_-_Effective_1_June_2019.pdf

I have read the Estate Agents Code of Practice and understand that they should be providing the above information.

Why is it then that the vast majority of Estate Agents do not provide this information, nor do they seek to ask for sight of the lease from the vendor or Land Registry?  
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,445 Forumite
    Options
    Tiglet2 said:

I have read the Estate Agents Code of Practice and understand that they should be providing the above information.

Why is it then that the vast majority of Estate Agents do not provide this information, nor do they seek to ask for sight of the lease from the vendor or Land Registry?  

I don't know - I guess they're just lazy, or they haven't kept up with the rules.

In fact, both the Property Ombudsman and NAEA (National Association of Estate Agents) suggest that agents are breaking consumer protection law, if they don't provide this type of info. - The Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008.

NAEA Propertymark even provide a "Property Information Questionnaire" (PIQ) which they recommend Estate Agents ask their sellers to fill-in with all these types of info. It's 16 pages long and very similar to the TA forms.

Consumer Protection from Unfair Trading Regulations 2008

We strongly encourage our members to use the PIQ and work with vendors as omissions and inaccuracies often lead to delays in transactions. It will help you to disclose any issues that would affect the transactional decision of the average consumer.

Link: https://www.propertymark.co.uk/resource/property-information-questionnaire-sales.html

• bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I’d ask the vendor for sight of the lease.
  • steve866
    steve866 Posts: 528 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    How frustrating. When I was looking to buy a flat the first question I would ask is the length of lease and service charge. Lazy agent. 
  • NameUnavailable
    NameUnavailable Posts: 2,857 Forumite
    Options
    The EA should ask the vendor, the vendor should know this stuff.

You can also download the title info from the Land Registry for £3 which will tell you - and then you can also get a copy of the lease for £7 but you have to get that sent to you.

It should be a legal requirement IMHO for leasehold properties to be advertised with basic info (lease length, ground rent, any set maintenance charge).
  • marshall_mcf
    marshall_mcf Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Many thanks for all these useful responses.  Seems like I came across a bit of a shoddy agent… needless to say I won’t be progressing things with them!

Many thanks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure