Options
2»

Comments

• Oneye12
    Oneye12 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Is this a joke thread ?
    My understanding is that if you have a TV or recorder that can be tuned into 'off the air' channels then you need a TV licence. The fact that you have detuned is irrelevent.

As for playing games with the authorities - try going outside after sunset and see your property through it's windows..

I was custodian for an empty bungalow up until 2017 - the BBC are quite happy to send around 30-40 threatening letters a year until something gives. In my case it was handing keys over for sale.

• Oneye12
    Oneye12 Posts: 88 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    "'off the air' channels "

This includes digital services like iPlayer ..
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 2 July 2021 at 9:02PM
    Options
    Oneye12 said:
    Is this a joke thread ?
    My understanding is that if you have a TV or recorder that can be tuned into 'off the air' channels then you need a TV licence. The fact that you have detuned is irrelevent.

A common misconception, but wrong.   You need a Licence to receive scheduled TV broadcasts or to watch BBC TV programs on iPlayer.    

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/broadband-and-tv/tv-licence/

And even this:-  "You don’t need a TV Licence if you only ever watch on demand programmes on any TV service apart from BBC iPlayer".   

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one

Oneye12 said:
    As for playing games with the authorities - try going outside after sunset and see your property through it's windows..

I was custodian for an empty bungalow up until 2017 - the BBC are quite happy to send around 30-40 threatening letters a year until something gives. In my case it was handing keys over for sale.

The information I gave above regarding handling TV Licensing's abysmal approach to its "customer service" responsibilities is entirely correct.   Personally, I would say that spamming a person with letters is a poor approach, and unlikely to be successful when that person knows that they are doing nothing wrong.
  • pbartlett
    pbartlett Posts: 1,397 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @Cornucopia is correct - you don't need a TV licence if you don't watch TV (or iPlayer). You can have the largest flat-screen TV you want in your sitting room and you still don't need a licence until you watch TV on it.

As you say though, if TVL knock at your front door you may get a tad worried - as has been said on here many times you don't have to prove anything - don't say anything and don't let them in. You are 100% perfectly entitled to have that TV there to watch Netflix or play games on or whatever.
  • timrichards
    timrichards Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Thank you all for your help and time spent answering my basic questions. It is so useful :)
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,835 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Personally I've found formally declaring that I don't need a licence has put a stop to the threatening letters and gven peace of mind, but others I know will disagree or not feel the need 

• Cornucopia
    edited 4 July 2021 at 1:59PM
    Options
    Personally I've found formally declaring that I don't need a licence has put a stop to the threatening letters and gven peace of mind, but others I know will disagree or not feel the need 

There are definitely pros and cons.

The letters will normally stop if you go through the No Licence Needed process (it's not a "claim" or a "declaration" in a legal sense).   So if that's your main "fear" then it can help.   

However, the BBC themselves say that they "may confirm this with a visit to your address".   That's a bold statement given that neither the "claim" or their checking of it are prescribed in law.   So, if your main objection is the BBC's process or their intended visit to your home then you might want to not complete the No Licence Needed process (it makes no difference to whether they will visit or not). 

As a further complication, the BBC has stated that if you do receive a formal allegation of evasion after having completed the "No Licence Needed" process, they will treat you more harshly (even though NLN has no legal weight).

There are other options, though: 

-  You can complete the No Licence Needed form with a fake name.   This is not an offence, and it has the advantage that if/when TV Licensing visit, they will ask for "fake name", and you will immediately know who they are, even if they don't identify themselves.  

- You can issue a formal complaint or some kind of legal instruction to them.   This will stop the letters as well as providing the benefit(s) of the legal instruction involved.

Someone asked if this was a "joke thread".   Well yes - it is a joke that we even have to have this discussion about conduct that should be clearly defined and our rights protected in law (but aren't).
  • Xenon
    Xenon Posts: 235 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    TV licence have zero powers to enter your property - they are salespeople working for Capita (i believe) - no more powers than a paperboy...you are under no obligation to provide them with any information whatsoever - either do not answer the door or be polite and tell them to go away.
  • Cornucopia
    Options
    Xenon said:
    TV licence have zero powers to enter your property - they are salespeople working for Capita (i believe) - no more powers than a paperboy...you are under no obligation to provide them with any information whatsoever - either do not answer the door or be polite and tell them to go away.
    Yes - TV Licensing is a BBC responsibility but staffed mainly by Capita employees.   The head of TV Licensing and her immediate support team work for the BBC.

Your other points are quite correct.   The other thing worth saying (building on the "joke thread" idea), is that we shouldn't have the situation where an official organisation approaches the Public and is unclear about whether what they are asking is (effectively) a favour from you to them to assist them in their work, or a legal obligation.  That kind of ambiguity really ought not to exist.
  • Freddie_archer
    Options
    pbartlett said:
    @Cornucopia is correct - you don't need a TV licence if you don't watch TV (or iPlayer). You can have the largest flat-screen TV you want in your sitting room and you still don't need a licence until you watch TV on it.

As you say though, if TVL knock at your front door you may get a tad worried - as has been said on here many times you don't have to prove anything - don't say anything and don't let them in. You are 100% perfectly entitled to have that TV there to watch Netflix or play games on or whatever.

And, if you use that huge TV, ONLY for listening to Radio channels - EG: Classic FM - you are also 100% legal, without a TVL.
    But the best advice, is always minimal or no communication with Capita TVL agents.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback