Getting rid of subtitles on flash drive - tv playback

I sometimes watch tv episodes that I have on my computer by sticking them on a flash drive and plugging that into the tv. However I'm getting subtitles displayed on the recordings, and there are no options on the tv's player to disable them (I have scoured all settings and playback options on the screen). It's an LG 4k smart tv. Is there a way to get rid of subtitles, perhaps disabling them on the files themselves somehow, perhaps? Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Carrot007
    Carrot007 Posts: 4,534
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Are you just downloading files with hardcoded subs that cannot be removed?

If they are there by defualt I expect so (unlessyou previousl;y turned them on).

I have an LG 4K and it is easy to disable subs (though I more want to enable them with my ears!).

(note the lg tv tends not to like enbedded sutititles and prefers a seperate sub file (which I usually have top do ocr on to get), so I really really rthink you are playing things with hard coded subtitles. Get other versions if you dislike that.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,840
    Forumite
    If its a separate file they may be .srt files.  Remove that if present, though I dare say a lot of smart TVs don't use that.  Kodi does, but you won't find that on a smart TV :)

If the subtitles are "burnt in" (ie they are part of the video ) they're not removable.
  • DarrenLee02
    DarrenLee02 Posts: 55
    First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    edited 26 June 2021 at 9:26PM
    I finally found the solution after searching for ages this evening, was going bonkers. Turn's out there is a precise way to turn off subs during playback on the tv. Also it's an 'issue' of mkv files, and there's a tool that can be used to edit the subtitles out of the files. I downloaded the tool and shall investigate tomorrow, time for a drink.
    Edit: Bing is awful and beyond useless.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,840
    Forumite
    I finally found the solution after searching for ages this evening, was going bonkers. Turn's out there is a precise way to turn off subs during playback on the tv. Also it's an 'issue' of mkv files, and there's a tool that can be used to edit the subtitles out of the files. I downloaded the tool and shall investigate tomorrow, time for a drink.
    Edit: Bing is awful and beyond useless.

Is not an MKV issue at all.  MKV files are actually multimedia container formats. An MKV container can incorporate audio, video, and subtitles into a single file—even if those elements use different types of encoding. For example, you could have a MKV file that contains H. 264 video and something like MP3 or AAC for audio.

If the file you have has subtitles included in that wrapper, that's not a fault of the file, that's how its been packaged.  You can remove them yourself: https://betanews.com/2017/07/04/how-to-remove-subtitles-from-mkv-videos/

Re; Bing - so stop using it then.  Plenty of other search engines to look at.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback